Not Sure What Bullet to Load

My son shoots 120 gr BT's out of his 260, loaded over IMR 4350 powder. He has killed several deer over the last three years and the performance was great. He will be 11 this year. If you want the exact load, let me know and I'll look it up.

When I still had my 6.5x55 I used mostly 125 Partitions because of their high BC (.449) and high accuracy in my rifle. They shot groups under 2.5 inches at 300 yards. This is why I used them if you can handle the slightly greater recoil.

The 125gr PT and not loaded hot say 2700fps. It would do wonders on deer if not shooting acrossed canyons. Velocity has a lot to do with felt recoil so I would balance bullet weight and velocity. Meaning not a lite bullet at the fastest velocity and not a heaviest bullet either.

Any of noslers 120gr bullets not pushed to the top velocity possible will work fine.

Example a 6.5mm x 47mm will kill game extremely well and its under a 260REM's in powder capacity and thus velocity/bullet weight.

Are the Savage Muddy Girl rifles available in .260 Rem? I bought one for my youngest daughter and at that time I believe they were available in .223, .243 and 7mm-08. I chose the .243 and she shoots 100 grain Partitions. I love the Muddy Girl camo. If you are looking for attaching sling and case they are available from Cabelas Canada or were last fall.

I was looking at so many rifles, I THOUGHT the Muddy Girl was available in the .260...it's not. I will end up with a Remington Model Seven for my daughter.

BT 120 is the bullet of choice in my 6,5x57R caliber and it never failed.

However, before switching to this one, I have been using 100 grs. BT and it served me very well, too.

Both will do the job effectively; however, if recoil is a big concern, I can tell you the 100 BT would be easier on the shoulder.

Hope this helps.

:wink:
J

Back