Number of lands in 300 WSM

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I just discovered that the Saami specifications for a 300 WSM call for 4 lands. I checked my M70 300 WSM and sure enough it had 4 lands. I also checked my Montana Rifle Company 300 WSM and found it to have 6 lands, which is what I assumed was the normal.

I plan to sell the Montana Rifle Company 300 WSM and have the M70 rebarreled. Now I am at a loss as to which number of lands to specify.

What are the advantages and disadvantages for six lands vs. four lands? Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.

Dan

Dan, frankly, it don't matter. I have ran 3, 4, 5R, and maybe some others and never seen anything I could tell that would make one worse than the other.

If you're ordering a barrel, there is a very friendly outfit out of Virginia call Hawk Hill Barrels. They do 4 groove, SS, cut rifle barrels and they have been nothing but a pleasure to work with. Buddy who shoots a bunch of LR silhouette shooting swears by them as do a bunch of his friends. I have a couple of them to go on guns and a couple more on order as well.

I wouldn't sweat the grooves though, bottom line, the maker of the barrel and the smith putting it on will likely mean more in the bottom line than the number of grooves in the barrel.

Thanks for your comments, Scotty. I will look for a Hawk Hill website. Dan

If you get an inkling, give Shawn a call. Nice fella and they're making good stuff. Pretty veteran friendly as well, so I try to give them business when I can.

The number of grooves and lands are not a problem. Scotty is correct in stating that 3, 4, or more have no significant effect on accuracy.

Back