NW Oregon

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Got up on the hill to do some glassing yesterday evening. Just a little video of the typical country in this area. Not much of it is flat.
Very unusual to not have some stormy weather at this point so the hunting isn’t all that good. This clear cut hasn’t started growing much feed yet but on a good stormy day during the rut it wouldn’t be totally out of the realm of possibility to spot a buck bedded down or passing through.

In my younger days traveling up and down the hills wasn’t an issue but certainly not the case now. Getting elk out of the canyons was always a workout but now a lot of folks have long lines and portable winches to do the work.

Another thing that has change is the logging practices. In the past they used to burn the debris out of the clearcuts so the ground wasn’t so cluttered and traveling it was easier. Now they leave the debris on the ground which takes a long time to break down and doesn’t seem as the clear cuts green up as fast with deer feed.
Spent a couple of hours just glassing, and didn’t really expect to see anything moving. The Swarovski binocs work well on the tripod. Nice to have the place to myself even if I’d not shoot anything here without having some help lined up to get it out.

Spent an awful lot of time in the coast range mountains as a youngster. I certainly agree with your assessment on clearcutting practices. In college I planted trees in clear cuts for a living during the winter. Easy enough to schedule work around classes. They had all been burned off. We did one that had not been burned, unbelievable hard work getting trees planted and no way to get the necessary number per acre. Logged those clearcuts in the summer, deer would be in the cuts when we walked into the unit in the morning. Often visiting the edges during the day. More than a few deer met their fate and went up to the trucks on the rigging in those days.

Back