Okay done bragging, had a dismal failure again whith H414

Primers were all very flat and if you look you can see where the brass got shiny. My cell camera skills aren't the best.

I have never had trouble with either of those powders or Win748 BUT I always use mag primers.
I worked up a load for my daughters 257R with 120gr A-Frames for Africa using H-450 which is another ball powder.
The rifle has a Douglas barrel. My load Ave 2899FPS and put 5 shots into one ragged hole(100 yards) 2 times for me. Then I loaded some with standard primers and it looked like a shotgun pattern. Went back to the mag primers and shot another one ragged hole group.
She took it with us to Africa and shot a dozen animals all one shot each including Kudu and Zebra.

I suggest using mag primers with all ball powders. I actually use them in all my hunting loads.

You will need to clean your barrel more often using H414/W760. Couple passes with a bore snake works out at the range. Magnum primers is what I always use. My old 30-06 165gr ballistic tip load was 58gr H414 over a CCI LR magnum primer. A max load in the old data books. Flat primers are normal using H414 even with below max loads. Shiny brass marks on brass base is not normal.

Back