Old Barnes X bullets vs Tipped TSX

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
IMG_3101.jpeg

Above is a Barnes TTsX in 130gn and a Barnes X bullet also in 130 gn for 0.277 caliber.

So I’ve been going through the 270 Win Hand me downs that came with my latest new to me 1961 model 70 featherweight.
The X bullet is new to me.

I have 18 loaded X bullets and 5 more not in a case. I have his powder recipes and cases.

Is the X a great bullet? or just a stepping stone to the TTSX?

I have limited experience with Barnes bullets but the TSX bullet is a proven performer on game. The TTSX is the tipped version improving the BC and down range performance. The LRX is designed to expand at lower impact velocities therefore increasing its effectiveness at longer ranges.
I used the 250 TTSX out of the 375 H&H Mag last year on a couple crop damage deer. At 160 yards, it thumped them good and expanded well.
The 130 TTSX out of your 270 Win won't disappoint you.

JD338

The X-bullet was "hit or miss" in my experience. Cutting relief grooves in the TSX went a long way toward improving accuracy and repeatable loads. I still have boxes of X-bullets that were set aside after the TSX came out. The tipped version was more of a good thing, giving an extra measure on terminal ballistics.

I have a partial box of the original "X-bullet" (90 gr.) in .25 Cal. They had a rep for bad copper fouling, and at the time I thought I could see heavy copper wash in my barrel w/ the naked eye. So I shot a few rounds and put them away. Might not have been a good choice . As I recall they didnt shoot much different than 100 gr. BT's. I really didnt give them a good chance. Also, wisdom now says that you should clean fully before shooting an all copper bullet, which I didnt do.... A 90 grainer would have gained me some velocity in that little 250 savage case. Never tried 'em on game. CL

The old X bullets proved so finicky to me, that I quit using them long ago. When the TSX and later the TTSX came out I tried them and found them to be far better!

Compared to the X, I saw better accuracy and greatly reduced fouling in my rifle barrels. For some people, in some rifles, the X shot well. Not for me and my rifles. TTSX? You bet! I like that bullet.

Regards, Guy

The TSX and TTSX are outstanding bullets. I shoot the TTSX in multiple cartridges and calibers from .277 to .338 with great accuracy and terminal performance. The original X isn't made anymore, so I wouldn't invest any time on loading it.
My Kimber Montana in .270 Win shoots bugholes with the 130 TTSX over H4350.

I have loads worked up with ttsx for 375; 338; 300HH; 30/06; 275 Rigby; 257 Roberts. Just in case more states follow California. I still prefere partitions or Accubonds for hunting. I load for a couple of my brothers and elk hunting buddies, just because I was courious, they have been shooting Barnes bullets for years. As others mentioned the original x bullet proved challenging. The tsx and ttsx are a much better bullet. The first year I loaded the original x took a bunch of deer and a couple of elk. It worked. The ttsx out of 30/06s and 7mags in our camp have performed very reliably over the years.

Good to see you posting again

I’ll toss the X bullets.

I can see evidence of copper fouling… more than my other riffles…

Set up a ladder test with H4831 and Sierra Game King. Just because I have so many that came with the gun. Liking the Redding

I plan to hunt with the TTSX and NAB. I’m completely confident in the NAB, and have no reason to doubt the TTSX.

I have a lot of obsolete Hornady SP 90 and 100 grain. Varmint bullets from before vmax. I don’t plan on shooting them. If anyone would want them… let me know and we can work some out.

The original x lacked the shank grooves in large part causing that massive fouling which in turned caused the hit or miss accuracy. I really like the tsx and the ttsx from whitetails to eland in appropriate calibers. I don’t think I would mess with the x bullet especially as it is no longer in production as was pointed out-IMG_8381.jpegIMG_6038.jpeg

I’ve seen 100gr TTSX driven at very high velocity and it’s very very impressive.
Dad has used one for years and all the grandkids shoot his gun when with him…
180-220lb whitetails can’t die any faster.

Back