Old Copper Gunpowder Container?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've been told all my life that this is an old copper gunpowder (maybe black powder?) container. It was in my grandparent's home, then my folks place, and now it's in my house. Empty of course.

So far I haven't been able to find a reference proving that this is/was a powder container, but I'm still looking. Wonder if any of you have an idea about it? I'm not sure how old it is. Shown with the 8 lb jug of Varget for comparison.

HAmsEnah.jpg

Regards, Guy

Thanks. My grandfather, father and my uncle were all serious about their guns, their shooting and reloading. This thing has been in my life forever.

I asked a few times about it, and was always told that it was a gunpowder container - but... I dunno.

Mom made a project out of cleaning it up years ago and polished the copper. It wasn't nearly as nice looking before then. Nothing left inside except a little dust and a dried up leaf. She sometimes had a potted plant atop it.

I've got some inquiries out to museums about it. Hopefully I'll turn up something.

Guy

Hopefully you'll get some info from knowledgeable sources, but regardless it's a very cool heirloom no matter it's intended purpose. Around here someone would have incorporated it into a moonshine still.;)
You know I was thinking the same thing, I would make a nice boiler.

Back