Old school powders.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Find myself going back to them more and more. Can find some excellent loads with them and there's no surprises. I know how they act as far as temp sensitivity and minimal lot to lot variation. Particularly IMR 4350, and now I've been using 4831 more where applicable.

Have a older Model 7 that I bought used for my wife back in I believe 93. Have a good load for it with 4350 but tried some 4831 and it's better. It liked a top load with a case full of that powder and after some seating depth tweeking it responded well bringing the group down to under 1/2"

Averaging 3055 with an 18.5" barrel and the sierra 85 gr hpbt.

There is a reason these older powders are still around despite some of the newer advances. Looks as if you've demonstrated their effective use with that load. Fine riflery, for sure.

Thanks Dr Mike. When it comes to reloading, some of the reliable loads with the old powders are like an old friend. Hard to beat. Should've mentioned, this is in a 6mm.

Bedded it and free floated it 2 yrs ago and worked on the factory trigger but other than a dumb luck group that I couldn't possibly repeat, this is about as good as I can shoot this particular rifle at 100 yds with the current set up. Got a 3x9 Tasco on it that has to be 40 yrs old now that I've had on numerous rifles over the yrs since I was a teenager. So worn you can't read any of the numbers anymore on the dial. But it still works and I'm cheap. :lol:

It's hard to believe how much powder technology has come in the last few years...

But I still use a lot of Varget, H4350, H4831, and H4895. Heck...H4895 might be my favorite powder for everything. H4895 might not be the best powder for any particular rifle, but I can usually find an acceptable load right out of a manual without a lot of fiddling around.

Yes sir Hodgeman. Not running down the new powders and if a person finds a winning ticket combo with one of them that fits the bill on all parameters, you might as well punch your ticket and run with it, improvement is improvement. But there are some fantastic loads to be had with long standing existing powders, and they have decades of use and studies behind them. No short or long term surprises with them to iron out.

I always have some IMR powders along with Hodgdons. I like some of the newer powders, some I don't care for, but I know I can "always count on" my Old School ones! I love the small of them and the memories it brings,

Hodgeman - It's funny, I remember when Varget was the new kid on the block. :)

Ya, I use some new powders, some old powders. The old powders that are still around tend to be pretty danged good in my experience.

Guy

Guy Miner":ak2k013q said:
Hodgeman - It's funny, I remember when Varget was the new kid on the block. :)

Ya, I use some new powders, some old powders. The old powders that are still around tend to be pretty danged good in my experience.

Guy

Guy, I loaded up some 30-06 with 150gr Interlocks the other day with H4895. That stuff metered out so great and consistently, I didn't even trickle it- just loaded straight out of the powder throw into the case.

150gr at 2900fps and got 3/4" groups in my buddy's Tikka....all with mixed once fired brass picked up for free from the local range. I don't think I had $5 a box in those things and they flat out shoot!

I always kept some H4895, IMR-4320 and IMR-4350 around.
I like to run several different powders thru 5 or 6 steps with ant new to me rifle cartridge.
Some reloading friends and I share powders that the others want to try.
Funny thing is that, Those 3 powders can work so many different cartridges
that we all have zeroed in on them.
I have good handloads using H4895 in 223, 30-30, 7.7x58, 8x57 and 458WM.
Also good handloads using H-4320 in 303B and 9.3x62.
Also good handloads using H-4350 in 270W, 7.5x55 and 30-06.

I like newer powders especially the Canadian made IMR stuff but do have some excellent loads with older powders.

IMR 3031 - 303 British (150's and 180's) and 358 Win (200's)
H 4895 - 6.5x55 (120's) and 358 Win (180's)
H 4350 - 260 and 6.5x55 (anything from 120-140 gr)
H 4831 SC - 270 Win (140 gr TGK) going to try with Ballistic Tips, Speer Hot Cor's, Deep Curl and the old Solid Base all in 150's.

Combine those with IMR 8208 and IMR 7977 they cover anything in the house. Big Game and IMR 7828 ssc are good too but the loads with them are covered by the other powders quite well. Probably will do more work with IMR 4451 but H 4350 does great.

I agree.
I am a huge H4831 fan. Just seems to fit many of what I load for with good results. I always have quite a bit on hand. I could also find it back during the component disaster a few years back.
4895 is another favorite.

IMR 3031, 4064, 4350, and 4831. There were always several pounds of each in the house growing up.

I use both the 'old' and the 'new' stuff. But the most of any one powder that I have is IMR4064, next is IMR4350

I use the old school powders for two reasons. I have worked up loads with them for most of my weapons years ago when these powders were the only ones around. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Reason two. I have a bunch of these powders stocked up and even through I have bought a few newer powders that have the proper burn rate for a couple new calibers that have come along in resent years I about had a heart attack when I looked at the price of these new powders. Average $30 a pound out the door. WOW! Most used powders are H335, W748, IMR 4895, IMR 4064, IMR or AA 4350, IMR 4198, H110, Bullseye and Unique. Newest powders purchased were Retumbo, IMR 8208, CFE223 and (RL7 which I got for $20 for 2 lbs from a fellowing liquadating his assets to cash going through a divorce.) RL7 shoots really well in 223 with 55 gr bullets.

4831 and 4831sc are two of my favorites in my .280AI with 140 NBTs. The sc duplicates the long cut from what I have tested, but does meter better. I expected the sc to be faster given more surface area. I have a lot to learn about powder technology.

RL-19 is my favorite right now for Berger 168 VLD Hunt in the .280AI, but I don't know when it was introduced. I've been reloading for 10 years and it was there when I started. Anyone know when Alliant came out with this powder? I understand it is really Norma 504 and my work shows identical performance.

Back