Older Nosler Ballistic Tips?(updated with lot #'s)

Velzey

Beginner
Jul 30, 2007
I hope I got a good deal? I picked up 2000 rounds of Nosler Ballistic tip bullets. All of them are .30 cal 150 gr. and 165 gr bt's. 100 of each. SO far I have only seen a few bullets that are slightly discolored.
I ended up paying right around a $100 for the whole lot of them.

They are all bagged up in 100 round bags with the green Nosler printed label including what I think is a batch # or the lot #. Back in the mid 80's I used to buy Nosler Partitions the same way. Packed in 100 round factory second bags.

My Question:
Somewhere I had read that the older early Ballistic Tip projectile would expand violently without significant penetration. Is there any truth to this or is it just pucky?

Ok the lot numbers are:

.30 cal 165gr BT #LS14M
.30 cal 150gr BT #HS10M

And I found 2 bags of 30 cal 125gr BT mixed in and there number is CS31M

Thanks,
Velzey

Nosler has made some improvments on all their bullets over the years.
The BT's are much better than when they were first introduced.
If you post the lot#, someone at Nosler should be able to tell you when your bullets were manufactured.

JD338

Even the older ones killed deer very well! :grin: I think those 150's & 165's are best suited for .308's & .30-06 rifles. Ten-twelve years ago or so I used to load 165's for a friend who used a .300 Win mag on mulies and black bear. The 165 B-Tips were very accurate in his rifle, and left the muzzle at about 3200 fps... Violent on impact? You bet! Even at longish ranges they inflicted a lot of damage. All that damage though made for dramatic one-shot kills on deer. After a few mulies, he was convinced to go to heavier 180 partitions for bear, and now uses 180's for everything with the same rifle.

Ballistic Tips have always been accurate for me, and they expand readily. Good choice for heart/lung shots.

Looks to me like you got a great deal; 2000 bullets for $100! :grin:

Guy Miner":1nyz60tn said:
Looks to me like you got a great deal; 2000 bullets for $100! :grin:

No kidding!!! You want to sell some of those 165 grainers? Sure could use some more.I agree with everything that has been posted so far,I know when I started loading the B-Tips in the early 90's that they are much different then today's versions.Too me it seems like they made the jacket a little thicker to help with penetration and so they wouldnt explode on impact.

Back