On the verge of something great.....

Feb 18, 2011
My custom English walnut stocked .270 that I posted in the rifles section got a new scope mounted and the wood refinished. So I have been needing to get out and shoot her again.

Here is my question - Does anyone know the recipe (powder and amount) of the cheap $20 a box blue/black box federal power shock ammo? I shot 2 different groups with this ammo at 100 yards - 1st group 1/2" 3 shots, second group 1/4" 3 shots at 100 yards!!!

My trust hand loads of 130 nosler partitions behind 56.0 of h4831sc were disappointing at a 1" 3 shot group.

I would love to try a load that matches the federal load with a 130 nosler Partition.

Attachments

• photo (16).jpg
    photo (16).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 668
That does look good. I have no doubt that you'll find a proper hand load that delivers the accuracy you seek. That rifle has some real potential, that's for sure.

I would bet if you tweak seating depth a touch on your load they will come together like the others.

Great shooting rifle though. That's gotta add a ton of confidence to an awesome looking rifle.

...I'd try increasing your powder charge to bring it up to the "Blue Box" MV, first, looks like you got some room to work w/, Nosler lists "MAX" @ 59grs. for that particular load. 57.5-58grs. should be close to matching the same MV....

Great looking and great shooting rig!

wildgene":2f6qgnb7 said:
'd try increasing your powder charge to bring it up to the "Blue Box" MV

+1. In my own experience, H4831 tends to tighten up as you come up to pressure with most 130 grain bullets, usually topping out around 59 grains or just over.

That's the danger with factory stuff... every once in a while you find something that will make you go crazy trying to duplicate!

When factory ammo shoots that good you know the rifle is not flawed and the shooter is good to go. I would be racing myself to the loading bench with those 130 PT,s. I get tiny groups with 60.0 grains of H-4831 sc with any 130 grain bullet. Most likely a seating depth adjustment and some more powder would smoke those Federal loads.

Hegland":rq3r55d9 said:

wildgene":rq3r55d9 said:

+1. In my own experience, H4831 tends to tighten up as you come up to pressure with most 130 grain bullets, usually topping out around 59 grains or just over.

That's the danger with factory stuff... every once in a while you find something that will make you go crazy trying to duplicate!

Where it maxes out depends on barrel length.
Around 59gr in a 22" barrel
Around 62gr in a 26" barrel

Buy a case of that Federal ammo and hunt with it the rest of your life.

I like simple solutions.

Antelope_Sniper":11okz407 said:
Hegland":11okz407 said:

wildgene":11okz407 said:

Where it maxes out depends on barrel length.
Around 59gr in a 22" barrel
Around 62gr in a 26" barrel

I have never seen where barrel length dictated chamber pressure. It changes velocity but doesn't change "chamber" pressure.

Guy Miner":pazrrqwe said:
Buy a case of that Federal ammo and hunt with it the rest of your life.

I like simple solutions.

I could never let a factory load beat me. I'd sell the rifle before that happens! Ha! :mrgreen:

Try 58.0 grains of that IMR 4831. Blue box is very accurate factory ammo. I could not beat it with my .243 80 grain handloads.

Oldtrader3":1oik3j5p said:
Try 58.0 grains of that IMR 4831. Blue box is very accurate factory ammo. I could not beat it with my .243 80 grain handloads.

I did just that a number of years back. 58 gr. of IMR-4831 gave 3103 in a vanguard with a 24 inch barrel. The bullet was a 130gr. sierra pro hunter. I would guess that load would be faster by quite a bit over the Blue box.

I tried some of this ammo in my 270 and was amazed at the accuracy, but when I bought a couple of boxes at another store (different lot) I found these boxes not so great with a lot of flyers. Maybe I got a bad run or something but that's the issue with factory you never know what you are gonna get. I get much better consistency with the reloaded ammo.

I'm inclined to agree with upping the charge a bit and playing with the seating depth. My most accurate .270 loads are in the upper pressure range.
Paul B.

Maybe measure the factory load's OAL and use that as a guide?

No idea what powder Federal uses but pulling a bullet and weighing the charge might give some insight too.

Ron

Back