One rifle one load

I would shy away from the 55's on longer range work on dogs and especially those bigger dogs. I shoot them in my moms .243 and they work great to about 300 or so, but after that they fall flat on there face, also you will not get exits 90% of the time. I would think the 70-80g btips would be great in the .243 for the bigger dogs.

all my rifles have two loads: one for slow and heavy and one light and fast.... if that makes any sense.

223 rem:
40 bt and 70 part

25-06:
85 bt and 110 ab

300wm:
125 bt and 180 part

Mighty Peace":386ln6as said:
My one rifle/load for big game in Alberta is a Sako m75 SS 300WM shooting 180gr. Accubonds with RL22 with under 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100 metres-dead on zero @ 300metres.

But one cant just have one rifle now can he... :grin: , so my other is a Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr. Accubonds using a compressed load of Retumbo giving my 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100 metres.

I purchased a lightly used Sako m75 SS 243 in May for my varmint rifle for this winter for coyotes and wolves. I have Ballistic Silvertips in 55 & 95 grains and Hornady 65 grain moly Vmaxes . I have the Hodgdon's Varmint Experimental Pack of powders to try. I better start reloading soon :grin:

Sounds like you're a Sako lover too like me huh?

Yes POP, I love the Sako rifles. I personally do not care for the new stock on the model 85 Sako rifles. I prefer the model 75. If a person wants the 85 model, save some $$$ and just buy a Tikka T3 is my opinion.

I may buy a gently used Sako m75 ss 30-06 and do up a custom barrel in a 338-06 A-Square set up.

Mine is a M70 in 338 WM.& 225gr.AB's.Will hammer anything on the continent I choose to hit.If they ever come out with a 250 gr. AB.I'll use it too,but for now it's the 225.

One load

7mm STW
150 grain NP
W-W cases
77 grains of IMR 7828
CCI 250 mag primer
OACL 3.675

I use that load for everything that walks around here.No crony but flat shooting and very accurate.

Granted, a lot of folks here look like they have a ton of experience compared to myself. But I picked up a M98 when I was 16 in 7x57mm. Had a new Douglas barrel put on it and a Burris Fullfield. Been carrying it around now for 24 years. The load I developed back then was 46.3gr IMR 4350 and 140gr BT or Parts. Will shoot to one hole if I do my part. It's accounted for a few deer, yotes and African plains game. One shot on all, only bullet recovered was from a Blue Wildebeest shot head on in the chest and we found that bullet in the intestines. I think I'll stick with the old gun as long as I can. :grin:

I have many loads for many rifles. I can remember most of them and I carry data cards with the zero and other data.

In particular I enjoy reduced loads also.

I say to each his own.

On some of my dozens of sporters there may be only one load as Ii have not got to other loads yet. It's fun for me.

To each his own.

I am kinda heading that direction. 120's for the 7m-08, 140's for the 280 and 165's for the 308. Problem is I love the 140 out of the 7m-08. But then I'd have to push the 280 up a notch and it loves the 140 Accubonds and Partitions too much.

Long

one rifle, one load

375 RUM, 300 gr Partition IMR 4350 at 94 gr of powder with Federal 215 primers. Sighted in for 200 yards and get a 2" group at that range. Through the chronometer, it's doing (if I remember) about 2930 fps. Either myself or my brother have taken 2 Elk and about a dozen deer. None have gone more than 4 ft, and that's straight down. (just make sure you do a head or neck shot on the deer)

Savage99":1ajdj8rx said:
I have many loads for many rifles. I can remember most of them and I carry data cards with the zero and other data.

This is what I llike to avoid.

I'm becoming more and more of a believer in a single diet for each rifle. WhenI have multiple loads for multiple guns I find myself spending too much time organizing and not enough time loading and shooting. That's not to say I don't play around from time to time to see what else might work.

i try to do this with each rifle. 300 win mag #1 shoots a 200gr Partition. 300 win mag #2 shoots a 165gr AccuBond. 7mm rem mag shoots a sierra 160gr game king hpbt. 308 shoots a 150gr AccuBond. 300 savage shoots a 150gr Partition. 6.5x55 shoots a 120gr ballistic tip. 22-250 main bullet is the 64gr winchester power point with a couple 55gr combos for long range. and i'm starting to work on the 243 winchester, have not picked the bullet to start with but the odds are it will be a Partition

7x57 and a 7mm-08, great classic rounds, or so Im told. IMHO Randy's got the right idea. Put the bullets where ya point it, in a gun you can stand to shoot and shoot it often. It aint rocket science :) CL

Back