Oops!!

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Well I finally got myself some glass. I picked up a pair of Zeiss 4.5-15X44 side focus Conquests with #4 reticles. One for the Swede and the other for the 338-06. Now I have a homeless Minox waiting for a new rifle.

Well ,I know you are going to be happy with those 2 pieces of glass :)
German made is hard to beat :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

A homeless scope is a dangerous thing, Jake. It will inevitably attract a rifle on which to perch.

DrMike":119jcvgq said:
A homeless scope is a dangerous thing, Jake. It will inevitably attract a rifle on which to perch.

Indeed... Very dangerous! :grin:

Well I have a set of homeless dies and a some new homeless brass that need donors. So I know I'm kinda doing things backwards. But oh well I really needed the glass.

The Minox will likely find its way on to a 7X57.

There is orphaned brass and dies for an 8X68S occupying a place on my shelves. It is creating a true conflict in my mind that will need to be resolved soon.

Yeah I understand that Mike. It will be cool once I get those builds done then I will have a collection of M70 Mausers. 6.5-9.3 should be sweet. Hopefully I can find a really good SG 270 or 06 for the 9.3.

As for the scopes I think I will really be pleased. I need to order some rings. I think I have mediums on the Minox now and I got a ton of space I'm think a set of Talley XLows will work perfect on the Picitinney rails on those rifles. I like the rails just because they are really simple no moving parts and repeatable zeros if I ever remove them and versatile.

Wow, great score Jake. Those are two awesome scopes right there. Hard to beat them Zeiss Conquests for the money paid. Plus, there is a decent aftermarket for them with the ability to add a turret should you ever want to.

Sounds like you are going to be full up busy pretty quick!

Jake, there have been two times in my life when I wished that I had loaded up on a particular scope brand and I did not. The first time was on Kahles 3-9x42's when they were on clearance for $499. The second time was recently on 3.5-10x44 Conquests when CameralandNY was selling them for $470. In each case, I did buy one scope. I wish that I had bought at least two each.

I figure I should get them while I could. The price point for the new HD5's are a little high to me especially when you can't get a #4. I've looked through them and love the glass but I really dislike the rapid-z reticles. With the load shaping on my 338-06AI with a 225 @ 2800 (Range Day Tomorrow) I feel I should be able to use it out to 700 yards where my energy drops off below 1500FPE if I ever need to. I will probably look into turrets for both of them right away and have them taken care of before I mount them.

I was lucky, the Conquest that I bought for $470 was with a #4 reticle.

Question Jake, are the new Conquests that you bought the old (discontinued) models? I don't think that the Terra scopes offer the #4 reticle. My new 1.5-5x22 Leupold which I bought last year has a number 4 reticle as well. BTW, my Minox is mounted on my .22 WMR Savage now, good place for it!

Yeah Charlie they are the old Conquest MC's I had originally planned going that route for my 280AI but settled on the Swaro that was DC'd. Now that they were discontinued I saved $300 a piece from retail prices. It's hard to look a gift horse in the mouth. Plus I think the 44mm objective is perfect. On my 280AI with the Swaro I used low rings and just barely clear. So I don't have the taller rings I get excellent cheek wield and it looks good. Plus they gather more light than 40's and are don't gain a ton of weight like the 50's. I don't like 50's cause I have to raise up to get a full ocular box like currently on the Minox. I have a rail on it with low Talleys and I kinda got to crawl and search. Thank goodness it has tons on eye relief. I should have probably ordered extra lows as I darn near have 1/2" between the bell and the barrel.

That is what I bought too Jake. I really like mine and it is the MC model as well with Schott US made glass. It is bright and I have it mounted with low rings with the 44mm objective on my .30-06. I get a good cheek weld and can see .30 caliber bullet holes at 100 yards on target paper. It is really a nice scope.

Well got my scopes and they are nice. I guess that was a really good oops now I need some rings. Any suggestions I have Talley rails on both rifles. With the 40mm Minox I have almost a half inch clearance in medium rings so would Extra lows be the ticket or low?

Yeah, I'd try the extra lows Jake. Should look real nice all set up like that.

Back