Opening Morning, Bear Season

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
No bear, but a great morning! Got up into the local hills where I've found bear before. Walked a long-abandoned road. Walked a small year-round stream. Glassed some likely hillsides. Found grouse, wild turkey and mule deer, but no bear. That's fine. There's time.

I don't have the time right now to set up a camp and hunt hard, but can do some half-day and day-long hunts. Temps were in the high 60's this morning and the low 90's this afternoon. Awfully hot and dry for hunting, but season opened today. A few photos from today's hunt:

The rifle: 45/70 Marlin 1895 with a 2.5x Leupold, and handloaded 350 gr RNSP Hornady bullets:
vnkWUjlh.jpg

Smart doe - kept plenty of vegetation between us:
AfeyFeOh.jpg

The abandoned road I used to walk into the area. Pretty lush for such dry country. I thought I might find a bear along the stream and road. No such luck, not yet:
lV9BFw8h.jpg

Glacier Peak, a Cascade volcano:
QGeTQACh.jpg

Awfully warm for hunting yet, but worth a try.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for the pics! I have to work through Saturday, but the wife and I will be headed up Saturday evening to camp and try to fill a tag or two! The August 1 opener is pretty clutch for me. I’m usually too busy with work in September to hunt bear, so this year I should get 3 solid weekends in. Hopefully either the wife or I can kill our first black bear! Good luck, Guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Just learned that my friend Gabe got a bear this morning. :) Happy for him.

Sigh, all I did was take photos of my hike with a rifle. Ah well... :)

Guy

The pictures reveal the beautiful country you hunt. Thanks for sharing, Guy. Yeah, hunting season is upon us. Moose and black bear opens here on the 15th.

Nice pics! 7 days till we fly out for our goat hunt, I’m ready! Summer has flown by, can’t believe it’s turning into fall here already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigh, all I did was take photos of my hike with a rifle. Ah well

That just means you get to keep hunting.

Fantastic pictures Guy. A big part of hunting is just that, hunting. With hopefully the final goal coming into play at some point along the way. Looks like a full and good day afield to me. (y)

Hey Guy maybe you should break out the Mt. Bike and see if you can get one to chase you like this fellow in the picture :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 861
truck driver":1sfpawi0 said:
Hey Guy maybe you should break out the Mt. Bike and see if you can get one to chase you like this fellow in the picture :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

truck driver":34opcgr3 said:

Run, Forrest, Run...

JD338

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 841
Couple more weeks, and I’ll be up chasing Westside WA bears in the high country... can’t wait! Rem. 700 KS in 7mm Rem Mag, shooting 160 Accubonds is what I’ll be packing.

Great pics Guy... thanks for getting me even more pumped up.

My son and I got out again this morning. Temps started edging up towards 100 degrees so we had lunch and took the afternoon off. We'll be back at it this evening.

Got permission from a land owner to hunt his property. He's had bears in the orchard. Bears along the creek next to his house. He'd like us to take one or two if we can. :grin:

Guy

Guy.... you should try calling bears in the orchard using a predator call. We’ve called in several... and it's a real kick in the pants!

Songdog":2hpdashp said:
Guy.... you should try calling bears in the orchard using a predator call. We’ve called in several... and it's a real kick in the pants!

I did call in a black bear a couple of years ago - it was pretty intense!

Haven't tried it yet this year, but I've had my call with me. (y)

Guy

Guy, it looks like you had a great day in hills :wink:. Thank you for the post and beautiful photos. I am quite confident that your 45/70 is going to leave a mark on a black bear before the season ends (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back