opinions on a 338-06

264 WinMan

Beginner
Mar 16, 2009
Would you build a 338-06 or buy something else? Can I take a Remngton factory 30-06 or 270 barrel and have it reamed out to a 338 and feel comfortable with the remaining metal? Or should I purchase a new barrel in a 338-06? The longest shot would be 200 yards max. I just want a gun that will put them down hard due to swampy conditions and traiing is almost impossible. I also am not wanting to build a prestine gun due to the adverse conditions it will be drug through. What do you think?

A good friend of mine thought very highly of his .338-06 AI for a general purpose deer, elk & bear rifle. His was throated specifically for the 210 Nosler Partition and was both accurate and reliable. His was built on a Winchester Model 70, with a laminated stock. Quite a rifle.

Guy,
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if he had a barrel made or was that the factory barrel? When you say he had it throated for the 210 gr. Partition, is that someting I will have to do having it specific for one gr. of bullet. Also would a 1 n 10 twist be good for 200 to a 225 gr.?

The 338-06 is a great cartridge. It would make a great all around cartridge. I would think that it is cheaper in the long run to screw on a new barrel than to rebore. Whether there is enough metal to rebore depends on the contour of the barrel.

The 338-06 is a hammer and the 210 gr PT is an excellent bullet that performs way better than one would think.
I would just get the rifle rebarreled.

JD338

264 WinMan - he sent his Model 70 Winchester to Pac Nor in Oregon and had it barreled by them.

Before sending it in, he took a hard look at what he wanted to do, and which bullet he wanted to use, then had it throated specifically for that bullet. It also handled other bullets, but really performed with superb accuracy with that bullet. I don't know the specifics, and sadly, can't ask as he passed away unexpectedly about two weeks ago at age 60.

He did specify the "AI" or Ackley Improved version of the .338-06, which brought it surprisingly close to the .338 Win mag in velocity/performance. Jim always told me that he thought he got more solid head-spacing and better brass life by going with the sharp-shouldered AI version. All it took was necking up the .30-06 brass, then fire-forming it in his AI chamber to produce perfect cartridge cases.

Guy

Man, the 338-06 is a great one. Between that and the 35 Whelen, they are two excellent rounds. I would imagine a 210gr PT would be awesome for just about anything. I know there are quite a few 338-06 shooters on here that swear by them. I run a Whelen, but if the 338-06 was available at the time, it would have been a hard choice. They are both very good rounds.

I agree with the others, send your chosen rifle off to PACNOR and let them rebarrel it for you. Probably cheaper and more accurate in the end. Plus they will true your lugs and make sure your set up is good. I wouldn't worry too much on having it throated for a specific bullet, UNLESS you already have a bullet in my for it. 1-10 should work great from 180-275's. Scotty

My hunting partner shoots a 338-06, using 200 grain ABs. It works pretty well on moose, elk, black bear and deer. It is a good all around load.

Guy, I am sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. I do thank you for sharing your information on his gun.
Thank you everyone for the information it gives me something to work with and pushes my idea of having a 338-06.
OK, now another question as far as the differnce between the 338-06, 338-06 AI, and the 338-06 A Square. I know the AI is an improved casing form but is it the same as the A Square? Is the A Square something differnt all together? Which would be the better choice? The Nosler No. 3 book shows a 338-06 whie the Nosler No. 6 shows the 338-06 A Square.

The 338-06 and A-Square are the same. A-Square standardized the cartridge and named it. Weatherby used to chamber it in some rifles. I am pretty sure A-Square just necked up the 30-06 to 338. I don't know of any other changes. Plenty of good load data for it though. It is loaded to 62-65K, so there are some good ones out there. Scotty

I will have one, probably a .338-06AI on the Remington 700 .270 I just bought, or maybe a standard .338-06 on a Model 70 of some sort... FWT or Sporter, probably. And yes, it's redundant as heck since I already have a Whelen, but I don't care.

I refuse to call it an A Square, as they completely screwed the pooch on the introduction.

I am not aware of the introduction of it. What happened? I always kinda wondered why it didn't take off like the 25-06 and some other great ones off the 30-06 case. Scotty

Thanks everyone,

Now I will sharpen the pencil annd put it to the paper. "I HAVE AN ITCH THAT I NEED TO SCRATCH". This set up sounds like the ticket I am needing. If anyone thinks of anything else by all means fire away.

Check out the Hodgdon load data, it is very robust for the 338-06. As cool as the AI's are, I don't know if there is enough gain to change it up too much. Scotty

The 338-06 AI is going to be right on the heels of the 338 Win Mag when using the 200-210 gr bullets. Another option is the 35 Whelen. The advantage goes to the 338 with a better selection of bullets.

JD338

If I ever bother re-barreling my .30-06 M1917, it may well become a .338-06. I'd happily sling 210 Nosler Partitions at pretty much anything here in the west...

The greater the diameter of the projectile, the less gain (percentage wise) achieved through improving the cartridge.

Well I'm not Mike but I'll take a shot at it. If I'm wrong somebody please let me know.

308family.gif

The bigger the bullet the less room you have to move the shoulder forward. Look at the .243 and the .358. The 358 almost doesn't have a shoulder to AI. While the .243 had a longer shoulder area to move forward. When you AI a case all you do is take some body taper out and make the shoulder angle steeper. You don't reall change the length of the case. This gives you a bit more case capasity. Take a look at the 260s below and you'll see what I mean.
TCross02x300.jpg

Back