Opinions please! Scope for Under $400

rmarshall":ievna9ms said:
I have ordered a Legendary Arms in a 260 Rem, I will need to top with a new scope :grin: I have always used Leupolds, what would you top it with? would a VX3 2-8x36 be enough, a straight six like the leupold or even the SWAFA, thoughts please or brand advice is great too! thanks

...for me, it would kinda depend on what my goals were in setting up the rifle. Keeping it as light & compact as possible, the 2.5X8 VX-3 would be a top choice, if I wanted it to be a little more versatile, I'd go w/ a 4.5X14. I've used the 2.5X8 on my 7mm RM out to 800yds., but honestly, @ 500yds. it's already covering a lot of target...

...@ some point, generally past 450yds., you're no longer aiming @ the target, you're aiming @ a point in space & you'll have to use either reference points on your reticle or adjust your POA. Far as the turrets go, when it comes to a hunting scope, I'm a pragmatist, if I decide 600yds. is my limit, I'll set the turret to match my 600yd. POI & live w/ being 2-3" high @ 400-500yds. On a target rifle I'd stick to MOA, or maybe mils, but on a hunting rifle I want to spin it up reading direct, & get back on target, not try & count clicks & revolutions...

...something else to think about...

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ck-values/

...(I cheat & use 50yds. X2)...

...one scope in your price range that hasn't been mentioned, & is a pretty good value, very clear & consistent, fairly compact & light weight for the price is the 4X12 Redfield Revolution...

wildgene":cqm5vneo said:
if I decide 600yds. is my limit, I'll set the turret to match my 600yd. POI & live w/ being 2-3" high @ 400-500yds.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding that or what...but if it is saying what I'm understanding it to say, its wrong.

Sighted in at 600 yards...most rifles (7 mag, 270, etc) will be on the order of 20" high at 400, and 12" high at 500 yards.

Not trying to argue...just trying to maybe save somebody some trouble.

The Legendary's are new. Let us know how they stack up? For $250 they are certainly priced right?

Ridgerunner665":3qf7xu4i said:
wildgene":3qf7xu4i said:
if I decide 600yds. is my limit, I'll set the turret to match my 600yd. POI & live w/ being 2-3" high @ 400-500yds.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding that or what...but if it is saying what I'm understanding it to say, its wrong.

Sighted in at 600 yards...most rifles (7 mag, 270, etc) will be on the order of 20" high at 400, and 12" high at 500 yards.

Not trying to argue...just trying to maybe save somebody some trouble.

...no, apparently you a 'zeroing' @ 600yds., I'm just matching the 600yd. mark on the dial w/ the 600yd. POI, the dial won't correspond exactly @ 300/400/ 500yds. but it's not going to be far enough off to make a difference, it's just nowhere's near as complicated as you want it to be. It won't work for 'F Class", but like I mentioned, I'm a pragmatist & heartily believe in "KISS". I would venture to guess that w/ a 200yd. 'zero' that 70% of our 'hunting loads' would fall into the 6"/18"//300yd/400yd. drops +/- a MOA, regardless of the cartridge, out past 400yds. things start to get a little more dicey. I don't hold 6" high on elk @ 300yds., I hold 'top of center' @ 400yds. I hold 'top of back', not 18"...

...shoot @ 600yds. set the turret to match the the 600yd. mark w/ the hash mark, you are only adjusting the turret, not really changing your "zero". If your data is "right" you shouldn't need anymore than a MOA of adjustment, as you dial back to 500/400/300 you'll probably be a little high, but less than a 1/2MOA. When you go back to your "zero stop", you will read something like 225 instead of 200, but the difference is going to be pretty marginal @ closer ranges, say @ 200yds. you might be a 1/2" high, 2-3" over 400-500yds. when you dial you turret to those ranges...

so guys I'm thinking of these 3 or 4 scopes: Leupold VX2 3-9x40 LR duplex, Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 with BDC, or the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 Z-plex. I like the idea of the ballistic reticles, but the Zeiss really tempts me. I think shooting to 4-600 yards the BDC would be easier with the hold points. I'm just not sure what to do. Money does become a factor here also.

Either the Vortex or the Conquest would get my nod of those you list. Either is fine glass, to be sure.

Dr. which would be best between the two? Not sure I like the 30mm tube and japan over German glass, thanks

I've used both scopes. Candidly, I can't tell the difference in clarity, flare, etc. Either is a good scope. I likely tend to lean toward Zeiss, but it is because of long association and not because I can say with confidence that it is a superior product. FWIW, I do like the 30 mm tube.

You can buy a Conquest 3-9x40 for $329 at EuroOptic and probably other stores. I have (5) Zeiss scopes and four of them are Conquests or Conquest HD. Never had a failure or any issue since I bought the first one in 2001.

I thought I remembered seeing a rapid z reticle in the 3-9 conquest , I just did a quick look at euro optic but none are listed . I did find a 3.5-10 with the rapidz 600 but it's close to $200 more . don't forget to look at cameraland . usually they have good prices too , and you might even find a demo . for me shooting 400 - 600 yards I do want a BDC reticle , or dial elevation .

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conquest ... 09971.aspx

I got the Conquest 3.5-10x42 Rapid Z 600 at EuroOptic for $499 (open box)? You just have to keep looking, I guess?

Why change and why new, buy a nice used Leupold for $200 in a 2x7x28 or even a 4X fixed, it will suit any hunting situation you get into..To me these $500 and up scopes are nothing more than a rip off, they serve no earthly purpose unless your a target shooter or long range shooter an I am neither.

Back