Optics for a new rifle?

Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 RapidZ 800

Should be able to shoot the 110 gr AccuBond at 3100 fps and at long distances set it on 12 power and have the reticle fit.

Coyotes and mule deer are what I hunt with my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL, very similar to your rifle.

Initially I put a 4.5-14x Leupold on it - the scope was sitting in my gunsafe, under-employed. After two years though I replaced that with a fixed 6x Leupold, with the 42mm obj lens. What a scope! Bright, easy to use, the field of view is plenty big. It's actually become my favorite scope. How well does it work in different situations?

Mule deer at 30 yards - one shot kill. Mule deer at 400 yards, one shot kill. Coyotes at various ranges, all dropped. No problem getting on game close or far with this scope. Yes, it's plenty of magnification for most hunting. The low light performance is superb. This is a darned good scope!

Guy

I posted a question similar to this on another board, with more of a focus on the different Zeiss Conquest reticles. Why the RZ800 as opposed to the RZ600, RZ1000, or RZ Varmint? (Gun is a .257 Weatherby)

on the 25-06, I would go with a swaro from SWFA. I have a 3x12 that is more scope than is needed, and a 3x9 should be perfect.

For the reticle question, pick the one that you want. But, in general, how often do you shoot past 600 yds? So the RZ600 gets my vote. You can also go to the zeiss website and look at the ballistic setting for the velocity of the bullet.... I have the RZ800 on my wby 257, and have never shot past 600 even in practice.
Hardpan

What I currently do have is a 4x12x40mm Leupy for this gun.

Fotis,

I can't see a problem with the scope you have. I like Zeiss (Conquest and Victory) and Swarovski. However, the Leupold has never let me down. Since you already have it, use it. Nothing wrong with buying another scope, except that extra scopes compel you to buy a rifle so it won't be lonely.

BK":1zb3ptnt said:
I posted a question similar to this on another board, with more of a focus on the different Zeiss Conquest reticles. Why the RZ800 as opposed to the RZ600, RZ1000, or RZ Varmint? (Gun is a .257 Weatherby)

The RZ 600 comes in the 3x9's or the 3.5x10's. The RZ 1000 is made for a 308 and the RZ Varmint is only offered in 6.5x20. If you wanted one of these that would be fine but would not fit your application as well IMO. The question was what would I choose and for the 25-06 (or for the 257 Weatherby for you BK)which is a very flat shooter the upper end 14 power and RapidZ 800 seemed to fit better. I have the 4.5x14x44 on a 6.5 rem mag pushing a 130 gr bullet at 3100 fps, it mounts lower than a 50mm objective and seems to fit

DSCN1246.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

and it is the scope with the best clarity and resolution that I have. That is compared to Kahles CL's 4x12x52 MultiZeros and a Zeiss Diavari 2.5x10x50, which gather more light but with which you can not spot 22 caliber holes in 300 yard white paper targets like I can with my Conquest. IMO with the Conquest you get European fine optics quality at a reasonable price.

It also has the side parallax adjustment which I love and won't be without on any scope over 10 power any more. Makes sharp focusing very easy from the bench or in the field.

And if you want turrets at a later date Zeiss will retrofit a nice low one later for a very reasonable price
ZEISSTURRET.jpg

That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks woods!

Sweet rig, by the way.

Nothing wrong with the VX II 4-12x40mm, it will work very well for you.

Myself, I would go with a VX-3 4.5-14x40mm but that is mostly because of the woods and low light conditions.

JD338

JD. It will wear something like that.....eventually!

POP I still have that 4.5-14x40 LR with a Duplex that I'm thinking about replacing. I am thinking about going with the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 with the Z600 or Z800. If you get serious about wanting that scope just hit me up. I'm in no real hurry to get rid of it yet. The rings will go with it. I don't need any 30MM rings siting around.

I know I have been thinking about scopes for a 25-06 / 257WBY, and I like Guys 6X Leupold, the 4.5x14 VX3 and the 4x12 VXII. I can't see any of them doing a bad job and all offer plenty of magnification for the fast .257's. Man, I am too far ahead of myself, I don't even have the rifle yet!

Here is the one I would get if money were no object.

http://swfa.com:80/Leupold-45-14x40-VX- ... 12693.aspx

Scotty

That's a pretty sweet scope, Scotty. I'm being won over by the 30mm tubes.

Me too but they gotta have those turrets.

I haven't ever used one on a hunting rifle, but some of our at work have 35mm tubes and are excellent glass. I would like to try one out and that looks like a good candidate. Plus, I like Leupolds, I know the Euro's are better in some respects, but Leupold is kinda the Nosler of the scope world, so I like to try and keep them in business since they treat their customers well. Scotty

Scotty,

I can tell you that the VX-7 I put on my new 300 WSM is some seriously excellent glass. The 35 mm tube is fascinating. Again, I'm not certain that my aging eyes are capable of taking advantage of what is offered, but it sure is nice to look through this glass.

Guy Miner":10qv5cym said:
Coyotes and mule deer are what I hunt with my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL, very similar to your rifle.

Initially I put a 4.5-14x Leupold on it - the scope was sitting in my gunsafe, under-employed. After two years though I replaced that with a fixed 6x Leupold, with the 42mm obj lens. What a scope! Bright, easy to use, the field of view is plenty big. It's actually become my favorite scope. How well does it work in different situations?

Mule deer at 30 yards - one shot kill. Mule deer at 400 yards, one shot kill. Coyotes at various ranges, all dropped. No problem getting on game close or far with this scope. Yes, it's plenty of magnification for most hunting. The low light performance is superb. This is a darned good scope!
Guy

Pop, I have to go with Guy on this one. I love the fixed 6x by 42mm Leupold. I am a fixed power guy and I'm of the mindset that no matter how well they are made and carefully manufactured, you are going to have less of a likelyhood of having troubles with a superbly built fixed power than you are a variable. It just stands to reason. Less moving parts and a meriad of other things that can go wrong. If you want to have a little fun and for not a lot of money and you will have a scope also for long range without having to worry about hold over and how much, have the custom shop put in the Duplex with the dots on the bottom that are calibrated for you BC and velocity of the bullet you will be shooting out of it. If I get to finally replace my beloved .280 Remington, or get that 6mm Remington or 6mm/06 in a bolt rifle that I have been fantasizing about, I am going to get that very scope! 6x by 42mm - Good choice!! :grin:

Yes Doc you're right. The VX-7 offers superb glass.

Back