Oregon 2013 Elk Hunt

Gerry
Generally I would say so! I have eaten a few very old cows and one old bull, not nearly the table fare of the younger animals. I also think that how it's cared for, and how long it took to get the animal down is also part of the equation. Just my .02

I bought my first .338 WM (a Browning High Power) in 1968. That rifle and the 210 gr Partition did the job for me. Later on I bought a Pre-64 Alaskan Model 70 but could not tell any difference in the ability to kill elk. I am really happy that rifle worked for you Scotty and Bill just keeps going with his Mod 70, .300 WM. Great rifles for hunting a great game animal.

Congratulations to a couple deserving fellas getting it done right! Great pics and write-up Scotty! I can relate to the fun details like the tank switchover and the 4wd not kicking in. With the best of prep those little gremlins still sneak in. Just a great story, I'm glad to be in the reading section (vs. the packing pics) :grin: :grin:

Thanks SJB. I really feel the need to try although my wife is not in the least bit wild about the idea of processing my own game. I already have a nice grinder from Cabela's and really need to put it to work.

You'll never regret taking care of your own meat. Very rewarding as well when you pull some outta the freezer for supper!

I can relate to the fun details like the tank switchover and the 4wd not kicking in.

Its a lot more fun when you read about it. I took the lines off of the vacuum assist yesterday, reconnected them and the 4 wheel drive worked. Tomorrow I start changing the two primary components. I will "not" have that happen again.

runtohunt":2rjmnhm8 said:
Thanks SJB. I really feel the need to try although my wife is not in the least bit wild about the idea of processing my own game. I already have a nice grinder from Cabela's and really need to put it to work.

I have one of those HD Cabela's meat grinders as well. It seems that we do not use it nearly often enough!

Wow Scott what an awesome adventure! Great work and nice bulls... Dewd that is GORGEOUS country! I'm turning green here!

SJB358":1yjhhmix said:
You'll never regret taking care of your own meat. Very rewarding as well when you pull some outta the freezer for supper!

...all true but I'll add, if I may, that it is a whole lot easier than it appears at first blush.

Back