Oregon Spring Bear Tag

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
Just received notification that I drew an Alsea/Stott Mountain spring bear tag, here in Oregon! Now the fun begins...time to break out the maps and start scouting.

TBASTIAN

Congratulations on the spring bear tag! I assume that would be a spot and stalk hunt.
What rifle and load are you thinking of?

JD338

TBASTIAN,

Congratulations. Undoubtedly, spring bear has to be one of my favourite hunts. JD338 beat me to the punch in asking about rifle and loads. Out of curiosity, what are the odds of a draw for you? Are there many tags available in that area? Best of luck as you prepare.

TBASTAIN

maybe I'll see you out in the woods. I drew the same tag. :wink:

shoot straight

It takes one to two points to draw the tag usually. However, I drew one last year as well. Hoping to spot some bears this year. The success rate is only about 5%... The terrain varies from coastal creek drainages to clear-cuts in the Coast Range. Great time and excuse to get back out in the woods.

Rod, send a picture when you tag-out! :wink:

Hoping to shoot my Remington .300 RUM on this hunt. I've narrowed the loads down to the following bullets:

180 PT
200 AccuBond
180 Sierra Game King
180 Barnes TTSX

Heading out this morning to test the promising loads...let's hope I find a keeper.

Any of those bullets from your RUM will do the trick. Best of luck in your hunt.

Mike is right, any of those bullets will do the trick. Bears are easy to kill and they die fast if you put the bullet where it needs to go.

Keep us posted on your load development.

JD338

My wife and I drew our spring bear tags as well. We got the west blues tag. Took us four years to draw! Should be able to find a good one. In the past when hunting with some other guys its not to uncommon to see 20-30 bears in a weekend. Good thing our season is two months long, I can be picky and hope for a big one.

Best of luck to you and your bride, Jake. Should be some great pictures.

Thanks fellas. Wife is going to be using 140 ABs out of her 7-08 @ 2780, and I'll be getting the 338 WM bloody with a 225 AB @ 2880. The 338 WM has been feeiling left out over the last few years so I'm going to give her some love. That and I killed my first and only bear with it 11 years ago, so she knows how to get it done :wink:

20-30 bears in a weekend?!? Sounds like I need to start applying for the West Blue Mountain tag! :wink:

It takes about four years to draw. If you get it I would be more than happy to take you. Not all of the bears can a guy get a shot off at, but it is still a lot of fun to see them.

Back