Outside neck turning?

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Anybody doing outside neck turning on brass? Is it noticeable in the results at the range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a standard SAAMI chamber, as long as there's sufficient neck clearance, any results would be somewhere between negligible to counter-productive. If the brass is really that crooksided, throw it away.

I have previously necked turned cheap brass about .0005" per side to clean up a few high spots, there won't be a need to neck turn quality brass like Lapua, Petersons or Alpha. If neck turning, you will lose neck tension and will need to buy a smaller bushing to get the amount of neck tension you want. Neck turning does not really show much difference if the chamber was cut correctly and straight, dies adjusted properly, good case prepping and quality brass. I had stopped neck turning for SAAMI chambers when I started using quality brass unless you are using a tight neck chamber. I neck turn for one of my rifles which is a 6.5 x 284 with a .286" neck. On my new custom 6BR, I only had .001" clearance between a loaded round and the chamber neck dimensions, so I shaved .0005" per side to give .002" clearance. It's the only time I turn necks. Sufficient clearance can be from .002" - .003".

Unless it is a match chamber, barrel and blue printed action, I don't think it would be of any benefit. I didn't see any improvement with my heavy barreled Savage in 223. The big benefit comes with neck turning and Bushing Neck Dies. You don't need to squeeze the neck down and then open it back up with sizing button.

I see it a little different. Working up some accuracy loads for my older M700 in 7mm Mag. I added neck turning to see what effect it might have. True, the results were small but noticeable.
I am only turning to about 85% or less. This cleans up most of the high spots and makes the thickness mostly the same all around the neck. The results were obvious as fliers were brought in closer to center and the group in general was smaller.
This rifle shot 7/8" to 1.0" groups at it's best. I didn't hunt with it for 10 years or so and when I next took it out I found the forend had warped badly, and was pushing hard against the barrel. I bedded the entire forend and around the 2 lock bolts, cleaned the trigger and set it to 3.0 pounds. I also took extra care with my case sizing and bullet alignment. For all this I got several loads that regularly printed 1/2" and under. The neck turning was just one part of the reason I'm now getting such good accuracy.

If your using bushing dies, then neck turning could help. Your squeezing the OD of the neck down and then the ID back out with the bullet. If the OD and ID aren't concentric what is that doing to the concentricity of the bullet when seated?

I don't neck size and I don't use bushing dies either, ymmv.

I have to turn for one rifle, it is a 280AI that I neck down 30-06 brass for and the necking down creates too much case neck thickness for my chamber.

Neck turning has eliminated equipment caused flyers for me. I am pretty good at calling shots and was very frustrated by random flyers every 10 rounds or so. If someone else claimed this in a forum I, like you readers, would assume the writer is not as good a shot as he claims.

Maybe so, but neck turning for my FNAR in 308 eliminated its inconsistency. For my M48 in .280AI the infrequent flyers are gone. Neck turning is a lot of work and good equipment is expensive. YMMV, but for me neck turning has helped.

A good chamber is obviously important. But even in a perfect chamber if the bullet is off center by random amounts accuracy will suffer.

Whitesheep":3dkscgl6 said:
Neck turning has eliminated equipment caused flyers for me. I am pretty good at calling shots and was very frustrated by random flyers every 10 rounds or so. If someone else claimed this in a forum I, like you readers, would assume the writer is not as good a shot as he claims.

Maybe so, but neck turning for my FNAR in 308 eliminated its inconsistency. For my M48 in .280AI the infrequent flyers are gone. Neck turning is a lot of work and good equipment is expensive. YMMV, but for me neck turning has helped.

A good chamber is obviously important. But even in a perfect chamber if the bullet is off center by random amounts accuracy will suffer.

I don’t know if it’s because the bullet is off center or because it causes inconsistent neck tension but either way I believe you.

Back