Packs

tim629

Handloader
Apr 15, 2013
wisconsinteacher started a thread about gear but I'm going to go one step farther:

what pack do you use, what is it's purpose, what is your build?

for me I hunt in the east so just use a northface school packpack sized pack as I don't need to carry meat out but if I go west need to upgrade to a hunting pack. I've been looking at Mystery Ranch but i'm 5'5 so all the used ones i've found so far are too big for me

I'm 5'11" 200 pounds (currently and hope to stay here :)

I got the Tenzing 2220 pack for my trip out west. I like it a lot. I was able to get all my essentials in the front pocket of the pack and had the entire main pocket to put 1/4 of deer in. It has a built in rain cover and a rifle/bow sling which I used when packing out meat. I was able to lash my extra cloths to the outside when packing also. It has nice straps and belt to help distribute the weight.

I have not used it here for deer hunting out of a tree but as temps drop and I need to pack in more cloths, I plan on using it more. For deer here, I have an oversized fanny pack that has shoulder straps. I really like this pack. I got it years ago and have never seen on like it. I don't even know the maker of it.

I use a EXO 3500 and wish it was a 5500. They weigh about the same and the 5500 will shrink down to about the same size. I've hauled 3 elk out with it this year and it's a really nice pack. I might try a Kifaru frame with a EXO 5500 pack next. I'm a 6' 170lb elk packing machine :lol: . At least that is what my buddy tells me. I've packed out about 450lbs of meat and horns so far this year. :mrgreen: I still have my wife's cow moose hunt, two cow elk hunts, and a Coues deer hunt that it will be used on but hopefully a few of those don't require the pack to get the animal out. If I can sneak away for a wilderness deer hunt I'll use it for that too. My wife might put a kibosh on that one though.

I've been using a Mystery Ranch for years. I've got a big build- 6' and 240, but Mystery Ranch is pretty accommodating to size the shoulder straps and waist belt to fit you. The packs I've got have a lot of adjustment for torso length. Short or tall- they can fit you. Watch the video on their site about pack adjustment. Should be a piece of cake to set up a used pack to fit your body size and torso length.

For hauling meat i really like the NICE frame- not the lightest pack out there, but when you strap a moose quarter to your back you won't worry about another 2 pounds of frame. You will worry about that load of meat flopping all over the place while you sidehill a scree chute! They cost a bit of coin, I bought mine used in 2011 for $300 and I've hauled at least 40 critters on it in the intervening years. I've got my money's worth but other than blood stains...it's still going strong.

My daypack is a Big Horn (now discontinued) and I'll admit- I've strapped a half a caribou on it and hauled it off the mountain. Way too big of a load for that pack...but when you want to get a critter off the grizzly infested mountain before dark you do what you've gotta. The pack is no worse for wear.

There are some good packs out there, but these guys have really took care of me. I must admit, I've got several MR packs for different uses and will likely buy more when I need one without reservations.

Nimrod pack system, built and designed a few miles up the road from me in Cashmere, Washington:

http://www.nimrodpacks.com/

Tough? YES - they're built for and used by wildland firefighters as well as hunters.
Comfortable? YES - even I like 'em.
Versatile? YES - can be a day pack, or expanded with other larger top sections.

In September I jammed a bear hindquarters & more in mine, and took off up the hill to the truck, along with my regular hunting gear in the bottom portion of the pack. Great piece of gear. I've carried out mule deer & bear with it. Have used it for rifle hunting in Washington & Wyoming. I wouldn't want you to overlook this lesser known brand - it's a good one. The owner of the company is a hunter & backpacker, he designed this a couple of decades ago and keeps improving it. Very popular here in the Northwest.

I'm 60 years old, 6' and about 225. These things come in different sizes and are very adjustable as well.

Regards, Guy

Back