painting a gun

metallica

Beginner
Nov 17, 2006
Just wondering what i need to know to paint a gun......... where to start, what not to do, ect....

thanks

Are you wanting to paint the stock, metal, or both?

JD338

Something like this?

416585.jpg

405921.jpg

Bottom rifle has barrel, action & scope painted. Stock was left alone and came camo from McMillan.

Clean 'em, acetone or alcohol will get rid of all the grease & oil.

Tape off everything you don't want painted like scope adjustments... Plug the barrel. Plug the breech.

Krylon military flats from Wal-Mart work fine.

Light brown or green for the base coat. Use several light coats instead of one thick coat. Avoids runs. Looks better. For camo, start spraying desired darker grays, browns, greens after the base coats dry. Natural leaves & branches and bunches of grass can be used to make patterns, or you can spray through fabric like cheesecloth.

Many ways to paint 'em. The Krylon is pretty good stuff and will last quite a while, but eventually needs to be re-sprayed. That's easy too.

On your first try - if you think you might want to go back - consider using the spray paints sold to bowhunters for temporarily painting their bows. It comes off easier. It also wears off easier.

I've likely got some other photos of painted varmint rifles around here somewhere. Top rifle was painted by a buddy of mine. Bottom rifle is mine. I've camo-painted 'em too. This is the way my rifle's been painted the past few years - simple olive drab on the barrel & action. Prior to that it was full camo.

Regards, Guy

Here's another one - with the Krylon starting to come off after a year or so of use in the field. The tan was sprayed first then the olive, through cheesecloth.

313405.jpg

Thanks guy, The top pic looks awesome, thats what I have in mind. I have a stainless wby ultra light wieght and am finding the sun shines off the barrel a lot, not sure if that matters but want to change the llok of it anyways

thanks again

Another option is to take the gun for a teflon coat or some other finish applied by a gunsmith. Or you could have the whole thing 'dipped' in the camo of your choice. There are shops that do this for a reasonable price, probably around $200-500, depending on how much of the gun you want done. You can get your scope, mounts, and barreled action dipped to match, then you'd be really spiffy at the range!

I have spray painted a few stocks and found if I coated the cloors with a matte polyurethane, they lasted much longer. Bug juice doesn't work on the poly as bad as regular spray paint.Rick.

rick smith":wb3uucpb said:
I have spray painted a few stocks and found if I coated the cloors with a matte polyurethane, they lasted much longer. Bug juice doesn't work on the poly as bad as regular spray paint.Rick.

Any paticular matte plyurethane that you have used?

Corey

Don't remember the name, got it at ACE Hardware but it was a name brand. I will try to go to the shop this evening and get the name.Rick.

If you are looking for spray can Clear Coat, Krylon Matte works the best. I use Duracoat Clear Coat and it is dang near indestructable. Make sure to put 3 or 4 light coats on for even protection.

Tim

Hey Guy MIner
When you painted your stock with the cheesecloth, how did you use it?. Did you just lay it on the stock or did you hold it up to it and spray through it. I just put a base coat of krylon Fusion matte olive on an old remington black synthetic stock(works pretty good) and I was thinking of throwing in some matte black on it to.

cloverleaf":3bs6j150 said:
check out this link- the guy is an artist- if you want to let some one else do it. CL

http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=

You could also do a search for Remmy Tims posts. Im pretty sure he has some more pics on the board.

Thanks for the compliment CloverLeaf. Sorry for the late response,I have been on family vacation. I actually responded earlier in the post about clear coats.

Bottom line is Krylon works great,it is cheap,easy to do and easy to re-do. It will wear off over time and field use. But you can just spray some more on.

Duracoat or any of the other products like GunKote or the Teflons, will last much longer,take alot more abuse,are rust resistant and actually help re-sale value. the downfall is that they are expensive, not easy to do,not easy to take off if you do mess up, and takes specialty equipment to do it right.

Hope this helps,shoot me a PM if you want and we can discuss it further.

Tim

Most of the paint work I do is with Duracoat. Here is a gem I fixed up...a lad decided to "refinish" it with some black paint and a brush....
Mod7-1.jpg

The rescue....
Mod7-Finished-2.jpg

He sanded the barrel prior to the paint job, so he settled on Duracoat matte black on all the metal to fix that mess up.

A few more finished stocks with DC....
Stevens%20Twins.jpg

This one....Don't ask! :lol:
Pinkgun01.jpg

Bill

Well, I tried the krylon on an old black synthetic mountain rifle stock. There is definately an art to applying the webbing paint. First time didnt look so good. I had to re-coat over the webbing with the olive base coat(gave the smooth stock a textured look) and reapply the webbing paint. Second time was a little better. The clearcoat seemed to darken the olive drab slightly.
RodsRifle005.jpg
[/img]

Back