Paired 30-06 Rifles

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
My pair of 30-06 rifles is complete...

Back story:
I've had my first 30-06 for several years, at least 12 or 13 now. My darling wife bought it for me as a Christmas present in one of our early years together. I have used that rifle to take almost every animal since, with a couple exceptions for blackpowder season. She has now had 3 barrels (the 2nd didn't get worn out, but it was too heavy and got replaced). Most of you have seen her probably, but just in case...

I wanted a second 30-06 to go with the first. I was thinking of an American classic rifle, so that meant I needed to use a Model 70 action (before the imported assembly to Portugal :( ). First I got the wood blank from Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas. It's the bottom wood blank in both pictures...

Then I got a Model 70 FN action. I would have liked a M70 Classic action for the trigger, but I couldn't find one for what I thought was a reasonable price. And Pre-64s...definitely not worth what people that are selling them think they are worth! I can buy a Borden Timberline action for cheaper than a Pre-64. I know they are good actions, but!

And then I shot the donor. I didn't want to replace a barrel if I didn't have to. But the factory barrel walked when it heated up, so I sent the barreled action up to Lee Christianson in Wisconsin. He put on a Bartlein #2, chambered with my 30-06 Serengeti reamer, 1-inch shank, finished at 24 inches. He didn't do any bluing, as the stock maker didn't want it finished before the stock work.

I had also monkeyed with the trigger a bit, tried an Ernie's spring, and I just couldn't make it work. I put a Timney in her. I've had good luck with the Timney in my first 30-06. And she's as good a trigger pull as any M70 classic trigger (I have in one PF M70). Lee changed out the trigger.

The M70 bottom metal was good, but I wanted something a bit nicer. I called Pacific Tool and Gauge and ordered some steel Oberndorf M70 bottom metal. Definitely a nice touch, though a bit on the heavy side.

I called Talley for some case color hardened screw lock rings and signature bases. Also not the lightest choice, but I'm happy with them. Talley is great to work with! I originally bought just the traditional rings, then after using a set of screw lock rings on my first 30-06 I asked if I could change them for screw lock rings, and they were happy to make the exchange. In the rings I have a Leupold 6x42 with a Heavy Duplex reticle.

During this entire period I was talking to 3 stockmakers. LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Gunstocks in Montana, Robert Szweda at RMS Stockmaking in Arizona, and Dennis Olson in Montana. I seemed to hit it off with LeRoy the best, so I went with him. His wife also does some really interesting checkering work. LeRoy also does polishing and bluing in house, and Robert ships it out for finishing. I am confident I would have been very pleased with any of the three stockmakers! LeRoy and Connie's work is superb.

Some detail pictures of the rifle:

Checkered grip cap and cross bolts

Inletted sling swivels, ebony tip, front checkering detail

Grip checkering detail, shadow line American sytle cheekpiece

Haven't shot her yet. I had to ship it back to Lee when she came back...evidently the barrel got screwed on a bit more than Lee intended during the finishing work, and brass/rounds/nothing would chamber. And I reload, I sized virgin brass to absolutely the smallest possible size, but Lee fixed her straight away and shipped her back. And my current duty station (DC) straight up sucks for rifle ranges, but I'm moving again this summer, and my new duty station has a range within 15 miles that goes out to 500...

A big thanks to Beretz (Scotty) for the M70 inspiration, hunting lessons, and reloading tips, Matt for pure mountain and elevation inspiration, Bill for sharing secret elk hunting spots, Dr Mike for reloading knowledge and persistence, BobinNH for 30-06 guidance, Lee for great metal work and general "don't do that, it's stupid" guidance, Karnis for discussing stockmakers, Ingwe for stock design wisdom, Butch, TC1 and Terry for wood stock inspiration, and many others I'm just not thinking of right now.

Those are both very nice. The first is a tough no nonsense rifle that looks very nice as well and the second is a work of art. Congrats on a couple of beauties......

Man you need a caution notice for possible drooling on the key board! The wood on the custom stock is fabulous.

That stockwork is awesome. The finish the checkering the grain, just perfect.

gerry":1bhmuflr said:
Those are both very nice. The first is a tough no nonsense rifle that looks very nice as well and the second is a work of art. Congrats on a couple of beauties......

it can not be said any better than what Gerry said---so, + 1

I will only add that is great to see someone make such a beautiful rifle in the 30-06 caliber. There is nothing in North America that can not and has not been hunted with a 30-06.

That's definitely "One of One-Thousand."

It's perfect. What a great rifle. I too do almost 100% of my hunting with the grand old Springfield round.

Thanks for sharing friend!

Dale

I need to go smoke a cigarette after seeing the picture of that stock and rifle.
I feel as if I've had an experience not suitable for mention in a public forum.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wow! That is just flat gorgeous. You've done well with the work on that new rifle. Two great rifles in the same chambering just makes for a sense of comfort and contentment. Wow!

Vince":m3al4cu2 said:
I need to go smoke a cigarette after seeing the picture of that stock and rifle.

Vince

Vince, smoking is bad for your health go get some of that $2000 Scotch and you'll feel better. :mrgreen:

truck driver":3ugih1ad said:
Vince":3ugih1ad said:

Vince

Vince, smoking is bad for your health go get some of that $2000 Scotch and you'll feel better. :mrgreen:
It's been so long since I've smoked that I have "like new" lungs.
Previous owner only used them on Sunday to drive to church and stop off at the liquor store on the way home.

What a nice pair or rifles... sort of a beauty and the beast concept.

Like it- a lot!

What a set of 06s the first one is all business and looks like it is just ready to do any task that is needed. The new one is a absolute piece of eye candy with a bit of a mean streak (y).
Congratulations on both of them, they are beautiful!!

Blessings,
Dan

Wow, those are incredible rifles. Seen the 1st one in action this past Fall. Nothing but excellent performance from the old 30-06 and 165 ABs.. It made me a believer.

Now, that custom stocked rifle is to die for. I know it might hurt a little to put that first nick, scratch or scuff in it but I bet it looks just as at home on the elk mountain as any other rifle I've seen. The checkering is excellent.

Joe -

What is your go to load for .30-06?

I have to confess, I have looked at this thread probably 10 times since I saw it posted. That is one hell of a nice rifle!

Thanks for sharing!

Dale

Gorgeous rifle with the upmost of class.
Well done buddy!

JD338

filmjunkie4ever":270esk0h said:
Joe -

What is your go to load for .30-06?

I have to confess, I have looked at this thread probably 10 times since I saw it posted. That is one hell of a nice rifle!

Thanks for sharing!

Dale

Dale, thanks for the note. I don't know that I have a "go-to" load for the -06 yet!

For a good solid target load, though, that would be as much IMR4350 as you can get in a case with 155 Custom Competitions or Matchkings. Usually around 59 grains of powder, or a couple tenths more maybe. This load shoots well and has low recoil, so it's a great practice load.

For several years I hunted/shot 165 grain bullets with 57 to 57.5 grains IMR4350. Very good accuracy, and I should have probably stopped there. I only gave it up because I started travel hunting, and had some exposure to elk hunting in really cold weather. One late fall I had a shot that was iffy. I felt like it made a good shot, but the cow elk didn't die very soon. She laid down for a while and I had to put another couple shots in her neck. In truth, several things could have happened...but I chose to move on to 180 grain bullets and a different powder.

Then I played with 180s and Ramshot Hunter, but got some inconsistent velocity performance during cold weather. Then I tried 180s with around 56.5 grains H4350. This performed pretty well, but not superb. Temp swings went down, but accuracy was not what it was with IMR4350 and 165s.

Then I went back to 165s and H4350, which is what I used last fall. I used 59 grains H4350, 165 Accubonds, and CCI200 primers. I normally use Lapua brass, but last fall I hunted with Nosler brass.

I'm going to try some 165 Partitions and the same load this year. I thought the AB performed very well, but if Partitions will shoot as well I'll pick them over the ABs. If they don't shoot as well, it'll be back to the ABs for me!

v/r
Joel

Back