Partition or BT for 243

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
Hi,
I just purchased my daughter a Remington SPS 243 Youth and am trying to decide which bullet to load for her. I pretty much had my mind made up on the 100gr Partition but after reading through some post here and doing a little research i'm not so sure that i shouldn't try the 100gr BT. The opportunity for a 250yd shot isn't out of the question but i'm going to limit her shots to under 200yds. She's just starting out and shoots pretty good now and i'm working with her on a regular basis to help her improve and get better and i know she will. My main concern with the BT and this caliber is that if she puts one in the shoulder instead of behind it is it going to do the job or blow up? Would my original choice of the Partition be better suited for her at this time? Thanks for any imput. Mike

I would go with the BT. I have loaded thisin both my and my sons .243, and have never had any issues. and no lost deer.
I use 95 Grain BT 's and 46 grains of H4831.
This seems to do well in his model 7 youth.
JDMAG

Any one of the three bullets mentioned would wok well in a 243 Win. Pick the most accurate one and don't look back.

JD338

( D ) All The Above

I believe the B-tip to be a little more robust if you will than many lead you to believe. For deer size game as mentioned above.. shoot what is most accurate they will all get the job done.

Let us know how it shoots.

JD338":20w73lmm said:
Any one of the three bullets mentioned would wok well in a 243 Win. Pick the most accurate one and don't look back.

JD338

+1 try IMR 7828

47 gr will usually get you around 3200 fps........start at 42 grains

The 95 grain Ballistic Tip is one heck of a bullet. I've shot 5/8" groups at 100 yards with it from my 6mm Remington, and my son put one through a mule deer doe broadside at 275 yards, breaking her off-side leg on the way out. It shredded her lungs and took a big chunk out of the heart too. Plenty of bullet for the .243 Win or the 6mm Rem and deer.

Bivwak.com lists 100gr solid base on their auction site. I bought some VERY CHEAP. They may not be as good as the Partition, but for the price, your daughter can shoot a lot more and improve her aim. I've taken a couple of mule deer with them. both were clean, one shot, drop in their tracks kills.

Take care,
Glen

Back