Pet loads for 307 and 356 win

wayno945

Handloader
Jan 29, 2012
Morning everyone, I managed to pick up a pair of 94s for a pretty good price on gb. Does anybody have a good pet load for either caliber? Im thinking of using the 250 kodiak or the 225 rn woodleigh in the 356.

For .356:

220 grain Speer FN, WLR primer, 45 grains of IMR 4895

250 grain Kodiak FN, WLR, 40.5 grains of IMR 4895

250 grain Hawk FN, WLR, 40 grains of IMR 4895

wayno945":34gk9div said:
Thanks Dr. Mike, your help is always appreciated.

I have some notes on the .307, but I have less time on the weekends; and this weekend has been truncated by Thanksgiving today. I'm busy with turkey and wild boar roasts at the moment, preparing for guests. I'll try to look these up and give you some data later. Consequently, my field work shows that both the 220 grain Speer and the 250 grain Kodiak delivers a frightful blow to mule deer, elk, black bear and grizzly. The 220 grain Speer is a highly underrated bullet in this cartridge. I've recovered exactly one bullet from a grizzly--all others passed through. The one I recovered was a finishing shot delivered to a bear from the rear, passing through the hump before travelling down the left leg where it was found under the paw.

A few of my Model 94s.

.356 No. 1

.307 No. a

.356 No. 2

.307 No. 2

There is another .356 which was only recently added to the growing collection, but I haven't taken a picture, yet.

Man, they are some beautiful rifles Mike. Winchester did them up right.

I confess, I do love them. I have no doubt that Wayne's rifles will be equally attractive. They shoot better than they should, as well. Each of the .356s I have owned gave me MOA or better with about every bullet shot. I've pretty well settled on the 250 grain Kodiak and the 220 grain Speer FN. Truthfully, the Speer kills far better than it should, having accounted for mule deer, elk, black bear and grizzly in my experience. The Kodiak is just more of a good thing, killing equally well, though I haven't noticed anything being any deader when shot with that particular bullet.

Those Kodiaks are pretty impressive Mike. At least they were in the 45-70. I think I might have to give them a shot in something fast as well.

I'd imagine that 356 would be a dandy rifle to pack around the mountains as well.

It vies for my favourite cartridge. I have a difficult time between that and a .280.

Hawk makes a good bullet, and with different jacket thickneses. I used a 225gr RT with .030" jacket in my 358Win and it work great on white tails. I might go to a .035" jacket if elk were the goal.

Back