pick my bullet 257 wby

Don't sell the 80 grainer short. They will really hammer a deer. I do believe from testing that the ttsx will open more reliably than the tsx. My testing has proved that to me and it makes sense that the plastic tip initiates expansion and that's what I'm seeing.
I've never broadcast this because of backlash, but I'm going to tell you that I've had 2 failures of an AccuBond on the 2 deer that I've shot with them. That's a shame as they are super accurate. Both deer dead and none went further than 60 yards, but I shot a 250 lb buck at 60 yards behind front shoulder with complete bullet blowup. Only about 3" penetration with only particles found. No bone hit. The 257 really places a lot of stress on a bullet and this was really close, but that is hunting. The other was a 160 lb doe at 168 yards. The bullet entered the deer and devastated it in the first 3" and exited as a fragment of a bullet. I believe a jacket particle. It exploded. The Barnes tsx for me has worked really well and the GS custom 100 grainer even better. These bullets will not blow up And I believe the 80 ttsx will not either.
Let's face it, this caliber will kill animals and don't be scared to shoot one with it. Although the AccuBond did not give me the penetration I expected, I still will not hestitate to hunt deer with it. My muzzle velocity with the AccuBond is 3490fps.
Hope this helps..... :grin: :grin:

I don't feel that any .257 Bee bullet (except Barnes TSX) lighter than 115 grains should be used on game. You never know what range you will end up shooting a goat at. The .257 Bee can push a 115 Partition fast enough to hit game with at any reasonable range and it will perform well with a wide range of velocities. Nearly any .257 bullet at 3600 fps is a varmit load!

Oldtrader3":1kduptnu said:
I don't feel that any .257 Bee bullet (except Barnes TSX) lighter than 115 grains should be used on game. You never know what range you will end up shooting a goat at. The .257 Bee can push a 115 Partition fast enough to hit game with at any reasonable range and it will perform well with a wide range of velocities. Nearly any .257 bullet at 3600 fps is a varmit load!

Are you telling me that a 100gr Partition, 100gr E-Tip, 100gr Hornday Interlock, 100gr Corelock, 100gr Speer Hot Core, 100gr Scirocco, or a 100gr A-Frame should not be used on game in a 257Wby??????????? You said you "feel"!!! Have you hunted with them to know and should I and the others who have devastated game with a 100gr bullet out of a 257Wby not do it anymore???? You got me on that one!!!!

I do not think it is right to make a blanket statement that no bullet but the TSX under a hundred grains should be use on game out of a 257. I have used the 100gr TSX and would not give you 25 cents for box of them to use on game out of a 257Wby, I know, I have used them on game and they are not anywhere as good as the 100gr bullets I mentioned above out of a 257wby having quick devastating kills consistently.

One thing about those bullets screaming along at those types of hyper speeds is they really put alot of stress on a bullet. No doubt, there. I would think a bullet moving along at that speed would be deflected easier than a heavier bullet (higher SD, longer bullet), moving a little less fast. I know I have seen fast bullets do some odd things while encountering bones, body armor and other pieces of kit. I think once you get into the 80-100gr bullets for the 257WBY speed of cartridges, you get people divided between high speed, shock inducing trauma and the other half of folks who prefer a little heavier bullet and slower speeds and ore traditional in and out style killing. That is an age old topic, pretty fun to discuss, but really, whoever sits in each camp has their personal reasons. Scotty

beretzs":1wshnx0u said:
One thing about those bullets screaming along at those types of hyper speeds is they really put alot of stress on a bullet. No doubt, there. I would think a bullet moving along at that speed would be deflected easier than a heavier bullet (higher SD, longer bullet), moving a little less fast. I know I have seen fast bullets do some odd things while encountering bones, body armor and other pieces of kit. I think once you get into the 80-100gr bullets for the 257WBY speed of cartridges, you get people divided between high speed, shock inducing trauma and the other half of folks who prefer a little heavier bullet and slower speeds and ore traditional in and out style killing. That is an age old topic, pretty fun to discuss, but really, whoever sits in each camp has their personal reasons. Scotty

Scotty, I have set in both camps and have used both lighter bullets and the heavier for caliber. From hogs, coyotes, deer, antelop to black bear the 100gr bullets have done their stuff in spades for many who have used them. For elk, black bear and such the heavier bullets have done their stuff in spades. In a 257Wby they all kill very well.

No worries, I know you are one who has used alot of bullets out of the 257. I am hoping to give it a whirl eventually! It is one of the calibers that has evaded my safe for awhile. I have no dog in this, as my fastest is my 270WSM shooting 130's at 3300+, but they are pretty devastating to deer and smaller. Scotty

Well if you really feel the need to heave'em in that much of a hurry I' d go with a PT or the 115. Inside 300 yds and under 3000 FPS there is no critter that will survive a well placed 100 GR BT. I understand the desire for speed and the iffy feeling the BT gives you at the velocities you are talking. If that velocity is really what ya want, you will wreck that mulies day for sure. As you already know, the one that consistiently shoots the best groups that you can handle will do the most for your success. Post the Pics! Good luck! CL

bullet":1hbm2nhz said:
Oldtrader3":1hbm2nhz said:

Are you telling me that a 100gr Partition, 100gr E-Tip, 100gr Hornday Interlock, 100gr Corelock, 100gr Speer Hot Core, 100gr Scirocco, or a 100gr A-Frame should not be used on game in a 257Wby??????????? You said you "feel"!!! Have you hunted with them to know and should I and the others who have devastated game with a 100gr bullet out of a 257Wby not do it anymore???? You got me on that one!!!!

I do not think it is right to make a blanket statement that no bullet but the TSX under a hundred grains should be use on game out of a 257. I have used the 100gr TSX and would not give you 25 cents for box of them to use on game out of a 257Wby, I know, I have used them on game and they are not anywhere as good as the 100gr bullets I mentioned above out of a 257wby having quick devastating kills consistently.

Bullet, you do what you think is right, which is what you are going to do obviously. I have the right to state my position about this subject, based on my own experience with 100 grain .257 bullets at hyper velocities. You kill them your way and I will do it my way and never the twain shall meet. Is that ok with you? However, for your information, I have been shooting .257 caliber rifles of all sorts for close to 50 years and am not an idiot, so take a break on me, just for future reference!

Oldtrader3":1nyquf5v said:
bullet":1nyquf5v said:
Oldtrader3":1nyquf5v said:

Bullet, you do what you think is right, which is what you are going to do obviously. I have the right to state my position about this subject, based on my own experience with 100 grain .257 bullets at hyper velocities. You kill them your way and I will do it my way and never the twain shall meet. Is that ok with you? However, for your information, I have been shooting .257 caliber rifles of all sorts for close to 50 years and am not an idiot, so take a break on me, just for future reference!

Well, I did not call you and idiot, that was your conclusion of what I wrote not mine! Fifty years or not, I just believe you are wrong and I expressed my opinion!! I am sure you will do things your way, as you see fit, and I know I will do what I see fit and I can live with that. Don't take offense to strong statements or responses to your strong statements if you are going to post them. I have no beef with you, just stated why I think you were wrong.

Oldtrader3":3nefl4br said:

I'm with you on this one.

If you insist on using a lighter weight bullet for 257 Weatherby, then there is only one choice... monolithic solid. That means Barnes, E-Tip and GMX.

If you like to see cavernous hole on animals body, go right ahead and use lighter bullets like the Ballistic Tip, Partition, AccuBond, and all cup core bullet in the market.

Desert Fox":2rgdr5xi said:
Oldtrader3":2rgdr5xi said:

I'm with you on this one.

If you insist on using a lighter weight bullet for 257 Weatherby, then there is only one choice... monolithic solid. That means Barnes, E-Tip and GMX.

If you like to see cavernous hole on animals body, go right ahead and use lighter bullets like the Ballistic Tip, Partition, AccuBond, and all cup core bullet in the market.

I like cavernous holes DRT, no such thing as overkill and I don't mind a few pounds of meat to cut away, because I don't have to chase them, they are dead right there. Now that said, the 100gr patitions I use don't do what you say and the biggest exit on a deer with them has been the size of a golf ball. One thing for sure, they are much quicker and humane killers than are the TSX. On top of that a 110gr AccuBond exited out a 320 pound black bear and the hole was the size of a tennis ball but the bear was dead right there in his tracks. Very humane indeed.

bullet,

I think you missed mine and Oldtrader3's point here. All we're saying here is that, matched the bullet weight and construction to the velocity of the cartridge. Open the pages of any Reloading manual that talks about terminal ballistics and you'll understand what I mean. Like Oldtrader3 said "You'll never know what distance you're gonna end up shooting your animal.

Putting this in perspective. Here's and excerpt form the article by Col. Charles Askins written 80 years ago. It still applies today.

The modern tendency in cartridge building is to leave the bullets as they are and to speed them up. The bullet that was designed and well designed, for a velocity of 2300 feet [sic] is speeded up to the velocity of 2800 feet [sic], with no change in the bullet jacket. I question the wisdom of this, and question whether the high velocity bullet is going to prove a better killer than the same missile at lower velocity. In like manner - still worse and more of it - bullet speed has been obtained by lightening the missile. This has been done with the .30-06, the 7mm, the .256, and the .250, and the results are in grave doubt where animals are to be shot above a certain size. In very large game shooting I'd far rather trust the 220 grain in .30-06, the 175 grain in 7mm, the 160 grain in .256, the 117 grain in .250, the 350 grain in .375 to any of the lighter missiles that are made for these calibers. The thing lies partly in weight of lead, but still more in keeping the speed of the bullet down to its working velocity.

keeping the speed of the bullet to it's working velocity

How true is that statement!

I'm not saying that you can't use a lighter bullet on the 257 Bee but, if you do, use the one that will hold together at high impact velocity.

Desert Fox":10m34jer said:
bullet,

I think you missed mine and Oldtrader3's point here. All we're saying here is that, matched the bullet weight and construction to the velocity of the cartridge. Open the pages of any Reloading manual that talks about terminal ballistics and you'll understand what I mean. Like Oldtrader3 said "You'll never know what distance you're gonna end up shooting your animal.

Putting this in perspective. Here's and excerpt form the article by Col. Charles Askins written 80 years ago. It still applies today.

The modern tendency in cartridge building is to leave the bullets as they are and to speed them up. The bullet that was designed and well designed, for a velocity of 2300 feet [sic] is speeded up to the velocity of 2800 feet [sic], with no change in the bullet jacket. I question the wisdom of this, and question whether the high velocity bullet is going to prove a better killer than the same missile at lower velocity. In like manner - still worse and more of it - bullet speed has been obtained by lightening the missile. This has been done with the .30-06, the 7mm, the .256, and the .250, and the results are in grave doubt where animals are to be shot above a certain size. In very large game shooting I'd far rather trust the 220 grain in .30-06, the 175 grain in 7mm, the 160 grain in .256, the 117 grain in .250, the 350 grain in .375 to any of the lighter missiles that are made for these calibers. The thing lies partly in weight of lead, but still more in keeping the speed of the bullet down to its working velocity.

keeping the speed of the bullet to it's working velocity

How true is that statement!

I'm not saying that you can't use a lighter bullet on the 257 Bee but, if you do, use the one that will hold together at high impact velocity.

I understood your points and that is why I use the 100gr Partition, A-Frame and Scirocco, along with the 110gr AccuBond and they have held up and exited on game shot and I have never recovered one of them. So my field experience tells me they are capable of handling the velocity and impact. Now I prefer not to use them on Elk and like the 115 and 120gr bullets for deeper penetration. As I said, I have been in both camps and use both lighter weight bullets and heavier bullets. I understood you all exactly and disagreed with your assumption that only 115gr bullets and up should be used on game, which my Field experience has shown is not absolutely true in all case or respects. Akins article lacks some things although I agree with most of what he is saying.

My most spectacular bullet failure was with Speer Grand Slams. I killed two deer in the timber inside of 20 yards with both deer standing looking at me. It only required 1 shot on each deer. Both were hit in the chest at the juncture of the chest and neck. I recovered various pieces of both bullets and sent them to Speer, these bullets were 180 gr. ,.308 launched a approximately 3050 fps. I doubt they had slowed down much at that distance. In my 50 years of hunting I have never seen more tissue and bone damage that those two bullets created. There was no meat recovered from the chest, neck area and parts of the front shoulders. Speer replied to my letter with the information that the 180 Gr. GS was primarily constructed for the 06 and were not designed for velocities above 2900 fps. Those were the last GS I purchased I gave the rest of them to my partner who was using an 06.
I am in the same court as OT-3 and Desert Fox I would be very wareful of what was going to happen with that size of bullet going that speed. I would be buying the hardest strongest bullet I could find and then I would still be careful.
We have all shot game. I personally have shot over 100 head of big game and can personally state that because a bullet or caliber kills cleanly once or twice or more doesn't mean that it will do so at all ranges, under varying conditions every time. As I am a member of several forums I see many statements regarding a particular bullet or caliber being a great killer of game that was based on a very small sample of kills. You can kill almost any head of big game with a rock launched out of a piece of galvanized pipe or a sling shot. Will it kill? yes, will it kill cleanly consistently in a humane way time after time? maybe, but the proof is in the performance in the field year after year, time after time. You are asking a lot out of a pill sized bullet at 3600fps.

Elkman":159oaxra said:
My most spectacular bullet failure was with Speer Grand Slams. I killed two deer in the timber inside of 20 yards with both deer standing looking at me. It only required 1 shot on each deer. Both were hit in the chest at the juncture of the chest and neck. I recovered various pieces of both bullets and sent them to Speer, these bullets were 180 gr. ,.308 launched a approximately 3050 fps. I doubt they had slowed down much at that distance. In my 50 years of hunting I have never seen more tissue and bone damage that those two bullets created. There was no meat recovered from the chest, neck area and parts of the front shoulders. Speer replied to my letter with the information that the 180 Gr. GS was primarily constructed for the 06 and were not designed for velocities above 2900 fps. Those were the last GS I purchased I gave the rest of them to my partner who was using an 06.
I am in the same court as OT-3 and Desert Fox I would be very wareful of what was going to happen with that size of bullet going that speed. I would be buying the hardest strongest bullet I could find and then I would still be careful.
We have all shot game. I personally have shot over 100 head of big game and can personally state that because a bullet or caliber kills cleanly once or twice or more doesn't mean that it will do so at all ranges, under varying conditions every time. As I am a member of several forums I see many statements regarding a particular bullet or caliber being a great killer of game that was based on a very small sample of kills. You can kill almost any head of big game with a rock launched out of a piece of galvanized pipe or a sling shot. Will it kill? yes, will it kill cleanly consistently in a humane way time after time? maybe, but the proof is in the performance in the field year after year, time after time. You are asking a lot out of a pill sized bullet at 3600fps.

I have in one year with the Mississippi Wardens killed 150 game - deer, hogs and coyote in a major culling effort and I did that for three years with 150 head of game being the most I killed in one year. I don't remember the game I have killed over 30yrs of hard hunting. I am more than aware of consistency of quit a few bullets bullets in the field and the only real inconsistent bullet in both 257Wby and 300Wby was the TSX. I am making my statements with much field experience and I still disagree with the statement that one should only use a 115gr bullet or bigger in a 257Wby to kill game and that position of mine won't change because my field experience screams in the face of that statement that it is not true.

YoteSmoker":14i4sacg said:
Is it hunting season yet?

Needs to be, I think it would keep us busy, I need to get back to finishing my load work and leave this debate alone. :):):)

Yeah, we're all arguing too much about this. Must be the mid-summer boredom between spring varmint shooting and fall big game hunting! :grin:

Cartridges like the .257 Weatherby, pushing little bullets really hard, generate a lot of interest. The .257 seems well served by "premium" bullets of some sort, unlikely to fail due to high impact velocity. Whatever we define as bullet failure.

My son and I are relying on the 115 Nosler Partitions this year from his .257, and possibly from my .25-06 as well, but I've no doubt there are many different, effective bullets. Heck, the hot little .257 Weatherby has been around for 60 years and has a great reputation for lightning-quick kills... That reputation was built on many different bullets. I always liked the idea of a Nosler Partition for it myself.

Regards, Guy

beretzs":2pzefnxj said:
Man, I can't wait for hunting season! Scotty

AMEN!!! I can't wait, I am for some reason really, really looking forward to getting in the woods this year Scotty, I really need it!!! I need the quite time and I can't tell you guys how much I love the outdoors and cool mornings out hunting, the middle of the day when I stop to make my fresh cup of coffee and eat my lunch then hunt till dark. I just love it!!!!!

Back