Picked up a couple of new rifles this weekend

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
This past weekend I picked up two rifles, one sorta planned, the other not at all.
On Friday, I was off for hunting and after I killed my doe and took it to the processors, my oldest stepson and I stopped at a gunshop to look around. I found as Savage Hog Hunter .308 and ended up buying it. I have the idea of using it as a suppressed tree stand gun. I took it to the range yesterday and with two different handloads it was shooting just over half inch groups.
On Sunday, a friend asked if I wanted to go along to Scheels, which I did of course. There I found they were having a sale on a lot of their hunting stuff including their Tikka rifles. I had been contemplating buying something 6mm/243 to experiment with heavier bullets and knew that Tikka was now fitting their 243 rifles with 1-8 twists. I found one such new rifle there and it came home with me. I also bought a box of Hornady 108 gr ELD-M's and loaded some when I got home. I tried those out yesterday as well and got some respectable groups but nothing to ooooh and ahhhhh about.

On a side note, if anyone has experience or suggestions of bullets to try in the 243, please pass it on because I'm just getting started. I also have some Sierra 107 HPBT's but haven't loaded them yet.

Ron

Back