Pink Mountain Hunt

Yes. To protect our mule deer, I'd like to see an unlimited "shoot 'em all" open season on whitetail. Treat 'em like coyotes - shoot them all year round, no antler point requirements. :mrgreen:

To protect our mule deer, I'd like to see an unlimited "shoot 'em all" open season on whitetail.

Unfortunately, that won't happen. We call them antlered rats. I do admit that flavour-wise, whitetail are superior to mule deer; however, it does seem a shame to see native populations pushed out of their native ecosystem.

Twenty years ago, there were few elk in the northernmost national parks in the Rockies here in Canada and moose populations were exceptionally high. Now, wardens find it necessary to transport several hundred elk per year out of the park into distant drainages in order to keep the population in check. When I first moved to the Peace, whitetail were here, but not in large numbers. Now, there is an extended season on does in an effort to hold the population in check. Whereas I used to see mule deer yarding up in mid-winter with herds numbering in the hundreds at that time, today the numbers are greatly reduced. A herd of twenty is more common now. I know that part of this is due to some severe winters we experienced a few years back, but the aggression of whitetail during the rut are a significant contributor to these changes. Moreover, I am seeing more hybrids in the bush now. While they grow rapidly and frequently sport nice racks, they appear to be sterile. Fascinating observations from time spent in the field.

Whitetails have made it to my neck of the woods located in the inland section of the North Coast of B.C. just south of the Alaska panhandle, something I never thought would happen. and the elk are about a 2 1/2 hour drive east of here around Smithers now it's just a matter of time before they get here too. The caribou here are mostly gone other than one herd but other species are replacing them. There were no moose until the early 1900's here either. It is pretty interesting to see how animals migrate at times.

I have read that crosses between mule deer and whitetail are sterile because of the genus, non-specific issues, similar to mules. Whitetail deer in Washington state now comprise 35% of the deer harvest each year, since 2001. For me, this is an alarming trend and a warning about the loss of habitat and poor management of the mule deer herd in this state since I lived here before in the 1960's. The state wants $1.2 million to study Whitetail deer herds over the next 5 years. I am afraid that this study will lead to more whitetails, not fewer in this state.

They are more aggressive and are really range rats in many western states where they are displacing mule deer as the native species. It is really disturbing to see whitetail replacing mule deer in the west and I personally wish that states would manage their animals better and exterminate enroachers more aggressively.

Blacktail deer are supposedly originally evolved from whitetail deer but blacktail are native now to this area and belong here. Plus, whitetail deer are bringing EHD (hemorrhagic fever) into the herd here from Idaho and that could be a disaster for mule deer.

Gerry, those are some interesting observations. There is now a resident population of whitetail in the Lower Mainland. Who could have thought this possible just one decade past? You are correct about elk pushing the caribou out of the area. When I first moved to the Peace, it was not uncommon to encounter caribou throughout much of the area. They are pretty rare now, necessitating a drive to mile 151 and back into the mountains to find huntable populations.

Charlie, game managers seem (at least in British Columbia) intent on managing people rather than ungulate populations. The whitetail coming in from Alberta are known to carry CWD (chronic wasting disease). That will not be a pretty sight if it becomes established in ungulate populations here.

I guess that it is easier to sit in a Game Biologist's office and let whitetail deer take over than it is to row against the political tide and actually try to manage game. All that Washington Fish and Game (in their 5-year plan) has commited to do is survey and discuss mule deer populations during this period, in areas where they ascertain there is a problem.

DFG have never surveyed most of the management units in eastern Washington where there are mule deer harvests. DFG thereby has no real population or harvest data base, they have nothing stated in the (5) year plan except to talk more! This is Washington politics, never make a decision when you can talk more!

Oldtrader3":1buagjkz said:
This is Washington politics, never make a decision when you can talk more!

That sure is the truth. This state has some issues for sure.

Corey

great pictures and narrative, most beautiful country! Keep at it soon one or two will come by near you!!!

DrMike, You are seeing game and eventually it has to pay off for you. Plus, you are seeing some really nice country as well to hunt in and that is certainly worth something for you.

Bill and Charlie,

Yeah, eventually I'll connect. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving (Canadian). Since mama is out of town staying with grandchildren, I intend to sneak away (something I've been unable to arrange this past week) and see if I can tag an elk. Moose opens again this coming week, so I'll be focused during the final two weeks.

Good luck Mike. Hope it happens for you buddy. I know you have been putting some time in. Scotty

DrMike, I am with Scotty on this. I hope that your luck plays for you this last Moose season. You certainly have some time in on this venture.

Hi Mike, look forward to a few photos this evening. Good luck my friend enjoy the day hopefully you will get a crack at a elk. :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Great pics again DrMike!! Is there not service station anymore at Pink Mountain that you had to go to FSJ?? Or were you in behind aways?

There is a service station, but I wanted to go to Kal Tire as I thought the tire would need to be replaced. We were behind most of the time. We managed to get in an evening hunt, regardless.

Back