Pink Mountain Hunt

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
We left Toad River after two full days of hunting, driving back to Pink Mountain where we would camp and hunt. I've hunted the areas around Pink Mountain for quite a few years, and Gil worked throughout the area for many years both as a gas plant operator and as an inspector for the Oil and Gas Commission. He has hunted the area extensively, being thoroughly familiar with the region, having taken many head of game here. In fact, my first hunt in this area was in 1993 when I hunted grizzly and black bear.

On the first day, we focused on Pink Mountain itself. On the way up the mountain, we encountered a small herd of stone sheep. Gil asked if I minded if he took one for meat. Of course, I'm not going to stop him. This was the first of four herds we encountered that morning. You will need to look closely, but there are four sheep in the middle of this picture; they look like white rocks.

StoneSheepJustBeforetheShot.jpg

The sheep were 201 yards from where we were standing, as measured with my Leica Geovid. Gil made an excellent shot with his 7mm STW, charged with 160 grain ABs. The three and a half year old ram dropped at the shot, and then the work began. The ram was eighty-one yards below our vantage; it would mean a bit of work to get him up. The remainder of the herd scampered away about forty yards, lay down and watched all that took place from that point.

StoneSheepTheyDidntRunWhenBobwasShot.jpg

The following pictures don't really do justice to the steepness of the terrain, but it was steep and a misstep could make things unpleasant. In the second picture, you can see the remainder of the sheep lying down about forty yards from Gil as he worked to secure the ram he had just shot.

GilandSusanPreparingSheep.jpg

GilandSusanPreparingSheepforAscent.jpg

It took us about thirty minutes to move the ram eighty yards to the bench I was standing on, after which we sought out shelter from the blustering wind that was blowing so hard that it threatened at times to push us over. There, we took pictures and prepared to clean and debone the ram.

GilsStoneSheep.jpg

The terrain atop the mountain was relatively flat with some limited cover.

AtopPinkMountain.jpg

LookingDownFromPinkMountain.jpg

We saw elk and moose the remainder of the day, but none were legal. The following day we hunted hard in another area that we had hunted before, and though we saw a couple of elk and some moose, none permitted us a clean shot. The next day saw us puncture a tire about sixty kilometers in the bush. It was a bit dicey, but we managed to make it out. It did mean that we would need to make a three hour trip into Fort Saint John the following day to repair the tire. We managed to make an evening hunt into an area that I had hunted over fifteen years previous. Again, we saw elk, black bear and moose, but none offered a decent shot. We travelled extensively on the next to the final day, moving through an area that has been quite productive in the past. At one point, we called a young bull moose to within 365 yards of us, but he wasn't legal, so we had to let him go. We had first encountered him at 415 yards, and he whirled and ran, only to be stopped by a cow call when he was almost 600 yards away and running. He worked his way back toward us, pausing occasionally to look us over. It gave us ample time to carefully examine his rack and determine that he didn't meet regulations. We saw a number of black bear, but none were six foot or so, which was my arbitrary limit for shooting on this trip. One bear in particular, was contently grazing on clover, and though we tried to generate some interest from him, he would only glance at us and return to eating. We "woofed," popped our teeth, gave dying rabbit calls and mouse squeaks, and even tried bull moose grunts and cow elk calls; nothing would faze him. Hunter does strange things to a little bear.

We encountered a large number of wolf tracks throughout our travels, though we didn't see a wolf on this trip. I had seen wolves in this area before, but none showed this time.

WolfPrintnearTommyLakes.jpg

WolfPrintwith270WSMCartridge.jpg

On a final morning, we hunted hard in an area that was new to me. We encountered quite a few mule deer and several whitetails. We saw a number of cow moose and found a lot of grizzly scat (as we had throughout the previous several days). However, by noon, it was apparent that the game was safe on this trip. We headed back to camp to eat a quick lunch and get on the road heading back to our respective homes. Hopefully, I'll get out for another elk hunt this week, and I will be heading back into the bush to look for moose as well.

Thanks for sharing the hunts with us. I look forward to hearing the "rest of the story" as your season progresses.

Long

Long,

We saw goats and bison on this trip, but I didn't have a tag for either. I didn't bother to buy a sheep tag, but I'm quite certain that hanging around on the slopes and glassing more extensively than I did, I would have had no trouble finding a legal ram. I've still got a month to tag out on elk and moose. I may drive back up to Pink Mountain area just to look for an early whitetail or mule deer. It was a great break from the routine, that's for sure.

Thanks Mike the photos are great look to be beautiful country.
Sure hope that you get out often for the rest of the season.

Blessings,
Dan

Mike,

That is Gods country, very beautiful.
Congratulations to Gil on his ram.

JD338

The Pink Mountain country is wonderful too, thanks for sharing your pictures.

YOU GOT TO STOP IT, YOU'RE KILLING ME! Not really. You have a wonderful talent with words to go with your great photos.

Mike, that is some awesome pictures and great story! What an awesome hunt. I was drooling thinking about the hunt. Great job. Please pass Gil my congrats on his sheep. I think we are on the same train of thought, if it is legal, it makes me hungry and I can't resist the thought of that great meat! Scotty

Gil is native, and this entire area lies within his treaty area. All of northeastern BC and much of Alberta are part of his treaty area. In the Pink Mountain area, he has taken a couple of caribou, bison, moose, elk, mule deer and whitetail. One friend used to hunt with Gil, an RCMP officer and myself. He figured he had all the bases covered, hunting with a native, a LEO and a preacher (when all else failed).

Truly some great country, thanks for taking the time to write and share the photos Dr. Mike.

Corey

First of all, thank you for sharing the beauty and the hunt. Secondly congratulatons on a sucessfull hunt. It don't get much better than that.
Greg

Dr. Mike,
That hunt was incredible. Great pics, good shooting then lots of work after you pull the trigger.
Ahhhh, hunting. Yes boys it is that time of year again. Gotta love it.

Don

Mike you are TRULY and in the MOST LITERAL SENSE OF THE PHRASE "living the dream" there! That is simply gorgous country man! Thank you very much for sharing.

I'm stunned.

Great pictures, DrMike, I had never realized before I started visiting this forum and reading your posts that Whitetail deer roamed as far north as northern BC. In eastern Canada, where I lived as a teen, the farthest north that whitetail deer can be found is about central Quebec 500 miles north of Montreal at about the boreal forest treeline. They also have whitetail deer on Anticosti Island at the mouth of the Saint Lawrence River in Quebec but they were transplanted there by the paper company that owns the island and were planted there many years ago and are not native.

I do not know if Whitetails are a recent immigrant to northern BC or have they always been there, because they are not in the east. The whitetail deer here in north-eastern Washington are relative arrivals recent here, having migrated over from the Salmon River and Lake Coeur d'Alene region in Idaho when agriculture (wheat) came to that area of Washington.

The whitetail population is growing. Whitetail tend to be much more aggressive, pushing the native mule deer from their traditional habitat. Undoubtedly, this increasing whitetail population contributes to the decline in mule deer populations. Elk populations have burgeoned during the past decade, pushing moose populations toward decline. I posit a similar contributing factor to this observation.

Back