playing with fire

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
on our walk , a couple weeks ago , we walked up on a skunk that looked to be eating at a partially rotted tree limb . we backed out away from the skunk . I figured it was getting bugs out of it . a day or two later we're walking through there , and I could smell it , so we backed out again . another couple of days go by . we're over there , and I could see a big rock up against that partially rotted tree limb, and a bunch of long grass beside the log . I figure this skunk has made a nest on one of our walking trails . I thought this was very interesting and I started to carry my camera so I could get a few pics to share . well a couple of days I wouldn't get to close and I could smell it , or see it , so I stayed away . yesterday I got within distance , and my camera battery was dead . I had the same feeling you get when you go to spray a hornets nest , and the can won't spray . well it all came together today . I got a few pics before I seen the skunk and smelled it . I get the pics loaded on the computer , and notice there is a trail cam right inline with this skunk nest . I'm assuming the camera is watching the heavy deer trail going right through there . I'll bet the camera owner is laughing his head off at me messing around with this skunk . I'd like to see these trail cam pics . I'd like to see how that small limb and rock got put up on that partially rotted limb. they wern't there before , only the bigger limb was there .
this is all private , posted property . I have permission to walk the ground I'm on , but no hunting . I'm not allowed on the ground the camera is on . so with this all being private , I'm guessing the skunk did all of this .

P2200534.JPG

P2200535.JPG

P2200536.JPG

P2200537.JPG

I always thought noticing the subtleties of being in the woods made it interesting. That being said I've never been too interested in skunks😁

Interesting. Growing up they had burrows under a concrete pad on the neighbors property that used to be a garage/shed. The pooches learned to stay away from that spot.

I'm not sure if Sally had a been sprayed before I got her , but she stayed away . I'd go walking towards the skunk , hold my hand up ,and tell her stay . it was like no problem , I'll stay here all day . LOL

That rascal has a nice little shelter built for himself. You'd never guess that's what that was just walking through the woods. (y)

I'm not sure if Sally had a been sprayed before I got her , but she stayed away . I'd go walking towards the skunk , hold my hand up ,and tell her stay . it was like no problem , I'll stay here all day . LOL

Dogs are a unknown reaction when it comes to that sort of thing. Had plenty that never had a desire to mess with a skunk and never got directly sprayed. Others that did, and one good shot was enough for them. A few others that while I'm sure they didn't enjoy it, getting sprayed full on was worth it once in a while for a good fun skunk killing. Man what a mess. It helps your dog is worked with and stays close. With direction from you she will likely take the cue and leave them alone.

Same way with porcupines. 3 kinds of dogs. Dogs that never mess with them, dogs that do occasionally but stay back enough that only a rare mistake means pulling a couple quills, and then there's the dogs that let you know exactly just how many porcupines are really in the woods at night. Can't turn them loose without a quill pulling episode later on.

Back