Please explain this to me regarding the E-TIP

DIXIE

Beginner
Nov 12, 2006
I am amazed it didnt out penetrate the ballistic tip....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... w/1#UNREAD

Cartridge-.300 WSM
Bullets-150 TTSX, 150 Ballistic Tip and 150 E-Tip
Range-10 feet
Impact velocity-3150fps

wet and dry phonebooks
Bullets entered from the right and stopped at the arrows.

150 TTSX went 15".
150 BT and ET went about 10-11".

An identical test made last spring resulted in...
180 AccuBond 11".
180 Partition 16".
180 TSX 18".
(2950fps impact)

I was quite surprised that the BT and ET stopped at nearly the same page. Figured that the ET would have ended up somewhere between the TTSX and the BT.

Width at widest point
ET-.685"
BT-.676"
TTSX-.620"

Retained weight.
ET-149 grains/99%.
BT-90 grains/60%.
TTSX-149.5 grains/99%.

I can't explain why the E-Tip stopped so soon...but one reason the Barnes bullets penetrate so well is because of the sharp edges on the expanded petals...they cut their way through instead of pushing through like most other bullets (which have rounded edges)...Barnes bullets are darn near unstoppable in soft tissue.

I'd be curious to know the actual testing methodology, the order the bullets were fired in, and all the specifics surrounding the test. If all three bullets were fired into the same phone books, there is the chance that the last bullet fired had less overall resistance (due to existing damage) than the first bullet. Also, I'd prefer to see a test involving multiple shots with each bullet into clean media, to provide an average. Who knows what would happen (in terms of weight retention and penetration) when we see the full story of 50 shots into media. Of course, it's a logistical and cost nightmare for a layperson to attempt such a test, but that's really the only way to get conclusive results. Remember that this is the internet, and if the guy has a love for the TSX, he could easily have done multiple test runs to find one that fovored it. I don't know the guy, and don't mean to cast dispersion, but three firings reported don't make a conclusive test. I hope to have some E-Tip data later this year in natural test settings...

Typically, a bullet that expands more will penetrate less. It's simply a matter of having more frontal area to shove through the test material.

Your data shows the E-Tip expanding more than the Barnes - which is likely a good thing in most hunting situations. I like expansion on deer size game.

Regards, Guy

I have to say that the E-Tip definately killed more phone books because the others just penciled through and didn't cause enough internal damage. So the next time everyone here goes hunting phone books bound by bailing wire, they should definately use E-Tips. :lol:

I bet that's the same test that Field and Stream used to determine the E-Tip was Ammunition of the Year. :twisted:

123% expansion sounds like one wicked hole to me.....
Imagine what a .416 etip would do....That would almost be a 1" hole :eek:

russ808":21fetbx8 said:
JusMo, How much does a phone book hunt cost? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Depends on the time of year. We have a fenced phone book ranch so we have some monsters. 8)

russ808":i6t8bbzd said:

Depends whether or not you butcher them or mount them o your wall! :lol: :lol:

The only permits issued through lottery are the coveted hunts for books with two sets of blue pages - the non-typical variant. They are extremely rare, reclusive, and actually blend in quite well with their environment thanks to their natural camoflage. I spent over 20min looking for one the other day, only to stumble over it hiding amongs the bottom shelf of my wife's desk...I did not have a tag, so I just watched it and took some pictures. They all came out blurry.

They are actually not all that bad... Recommend letting them mariande over-night of course in your favorite flavor. I prefer to prepare them like fish myself on an expensive piece of hickory.....Slow bake in the oven for around an hour or so to your tenderness liking..... remove when ready... throw phone book away & eat the piece of hickory.

JusMo":e46kr3tr said:
russ808":e46kr3tr said:

Depends on the time of year. We have a fenced phone book ranch so we have some monsters. 8)

Lets see if I remember this right

LOTFLMFAO........phone book ranch :grin: :grin: :grin:

I think the first L should be an "R" as in Rolling on the floor laughing my @#@$ a$$ off
You'll get there :roll:

i have no axe to grind here but your responses are amusing...if you cant beat 'em, make fun of them...

I'll give up 6/100th of inch expansion to get 4" of penetration...

ymmv

The E-tip and the ttsx and designed differently and perform differently.
I am sure the two will kill game just as dead in different ways.

old #7 said:
Lets see if I remember this right

LOTFLMFAO........phone book ranch

JDMAG":3i73n7l7 said:
I think the first L should be an "R" as in Rolling on the floor laughing my @#@$ a$$ off
You'll get there :roll:

Maybe he meant Lying on the floor...but rolling is definitely the norm on that one. :p

Well I don't know if the conclusion I came to is correct , but it's the only logical deduction i can come up with.

First comparing the ET to the X, I would say not only is the expanded frontal area responsible to some degree, I also think the ET opens much quicker being evidently softer. Opening quicker will slow it much the same as the larger frontal area.
For The ET penetrating about the same as the BT even with less retained weight,,,,well.
The only thing I noticed looking at those pics on the link, is that it appears the BT started going sideways sometime after initial expansion. This left a smaller frontal area, yet allowing remaining mass to penetrate as much as the heavier wider ET.

Now since Barnes has always said it's likely best to use weights lighter than conventional to get relative equal performance as cup and core types,,,I can only conclude that one should use "normal" weights with the ET's to equal X perofmance penetration wise. The frontal area relative to the expanded SD, has eveidently more influence than one would expect.

Dave

I'll say this much...I wonder If all three bullets were fired into the phone books, say, Barnes first, BT second and E-Tip third. The BT and E-Tips would not be shooting into the same density as the first bullet shot, possibly denser or less dense, depending.

On the game front. I shot a 250-275 pound wild hog with the 180gr E-Tip from my 300 Win Mag at between 80 and 100 yards. He was running away and I was shooting down at him. The first bullet hit the spine on the back third of the hog, crushed 3 or 4 vertibrea (did not penetrate the spine) and traveled under the hide/shield and into the front shoulder. The second shot hit next to the first (missing the spine) and I recovered the bullet in his throat. Both bullets retained crazy amounts of weight and opened perfectly. Just a guess, I would say both bullets traveled through at least 2 foot of wild hog. I won't complain about that.

See the post in hunting that Pop posted for me. Pics of hog and both bullets.

Back