Please help me with Scope Rings & Base

Rmitch223

Beginner
Nov 9, 2012
I'm getting ready to purchase a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP Scope.

Its going on my Rem. 700 SPS Varmint in .243

I was thinking about going with Badger rings and base, but I'm now looking at TPS Rings and Base to save some cash.

Are TPS rings and bases quality products?

Which height TPS rings should I go with? I was thinking I would be really close using the medium rings which measure 1.075".
Should I be good to go with those rings with a 50mm objective on my rifle?

I usually only shoot from 100-600 yards so should I go with a 20MOA base or 0MOA base?

Thank you,

Ryan

Ryan, I have heard nothing but great things about the TPS rings and bases. They look well machined and made from quality parts. I would imagine OT3 will be around to tell you about his sets. He has ran them on a 340 WBY and a bunch of other rifles with good results I think.

As to the height, that is tough, I have no real experience with that part. I would probably get the 20 MOA base though. You never know if your going to wanna shoot further. Might as well have it from the get go.

Can't say as I had those rings, but have to take the word of those of knowledge on such.
However, if were me, I would go with an EGW 20 moa base with Burris Signature Zee's.
Ring height is a function but also personal preference. With the BSZ's I prefer the High rings, as they seem a tad lower than most to me, yet just abit higher than mediums. Mediums may not, or may interfer with the objective 50 mm size ( pending contour of course), but also can make it difficult for installing flip-up covers.
That's not saying they are better,,,,I just like them a lot.

Rmitch223":39ho0bf8 said:
TPS offers aluminum rings and steel rings. which should I go with ?

I would be good with the aluminium alloy rings on all but the worst recoiling rifles. No need to put the extra weight of steel on there if you don't need it.

Just ordered a set of 30mm TPS out from SWFA today. Great rings for half the price of Badger, Seekins, etc...

I'll need you to give them the stink eye Joel. Always good to have options.

What are you putting them on?

Going on the Tikka T3 (.223 from Jeff). I figured they were worth a try for that kind of money. I got a Wheeler lapping kit a couple weeks ago,so these will be the first rings it is tried on. Might call you for some hints once I am set up to lap. Seems pretty straight forward, but you know me and metal :roll: .

Got the scope mounted. Went with the steel TPS rings in medium.
Looks to tall for me. Too far off the barrel and too tall for a good check weld. I could put more inserts in the Traid stock pack to get a better check weld but its still to high off the barrel don't you guys think?

The medium measure 1.075 and the lows I'm gonna try are .925.

Thinks its worth switching the the low rings?

Here are a few pics.

ScopePic1_zps25442b9d.jpg

ScopePic2_zps5bc067a8.jpg

Yep...go to the lows. I may be interested in those mediums if you are selling them. PM me if you are considering that option.

257 Ackley":ebddg2iv said:
Yep...go to the lows. I may be interested in those mediums if you are selling them. PM me if you are considering that option.

257 Ackley is correct; your picture indicates that the low rings will work just fine for that scope.

257 Ackley":2h0gcpq4 said:

PM sent.

Thanks for the help guys.

This forum is full of people willing to help and I have been a big fan from day one.
I'll be around for quite a while.

Ryan

Are the lows gonna be low enough at .925? that only .15 lower right? I wonder if they make super low rings?
I'll have to look.

They make super lows and they measure .820 should I go with those?

I didn't measure the gap before I disassembled it. I make have to put in back on the rings and measure the gap.

You should be able to get by with super lows. I have a set of 30mm Badger standard rings that are .823 and work fine for a 50mm objective lens NF on a 20moa rail. Take a set of calipers and measure the outside of the objective lens to make sure it isn't much over 60mm. If it is, go with lows, but the super lows should work. You will be much happier with your cheek weld as low as possible, especially if you are shooting prone for those longer shots.

Sorry, I missed this but have been in the ICU at the hospital through Wednesday afternoon. I wish that I could have posted earlier. TPS rings are higher and I use 2 sets mediums for my two 50mm objective lens scopes. I use a couple of sets of the low TPS rings for scopes up to 44mm objective. I have one set of super lows which will fit a 3-9x40 Kahles which is what I have. In all, five of my seven bolt action rifles have TPS rings. The two that don't, have ringmounts (Sako).

As you already know, the rings and bases are very accurately made, high tolerance and super strong. The thing that II like about the aluminum rings is that they align very closely and do not mark my scope tubes. They are also very strong and I have had both steel and aluminum mediums on a .340 Weatherby Mark V which I shot pretty often and they never moved out of zero.

If I can provide any more information, please let me know.

Ryan -
I used the TPS lows (.935) on my 6.5X47 Lapua that has a 20 moa rail integral to the action, and a HV barrel. The scope is a NF with a 56mm objective. As you can see from the picture, there isn't much space between the objective lens and the barrel (1 mm at most). The second picture is a set of Ken Farrell rings (.835) on a 0 moa rail with a 50mm objective NF scope. I have a Blackhawk cheek pad similar to the one on your rifle, and the rifle came up to my eye really well.
2012-12-29184256_zps4c3f2f2e.jpg

2012-12-29221112_zps28fb68e7.jpg

2012-12-29221024_zpsb21c1753.jpg

I think you can get by with the super lows, unless you have scopes covers that will add another layer of thickness between the scope and the barrel. Good luck.

Back