Polar Bear and Walrus

alaska100":3uspykn8 said:
hodgeman, a couple of questions. Where did you go, if , it was in Alaska, as I have always wanted to experience hunting these animals, even if I wasn't the "hunter". ? Also, have you hunted buffalo on that fellows farm by you and if so do you remember what he charges for a buffalo hunt ? thank you Brooke

I spent a little time in Nuiqsuit and hung out with the folks there- they brought in a bowhead while I was there and seal meat was pretty common along with caribou and fish. That was quite the sight and experience. I saw a few polar bears way out on the ice and saw some tracks but nothing really close. I "hunted" a walrus on Shemya Island with a camera...that was cool and they are a massive animal- bigger than anything you can normally hunt on land. I think the primary challenge to walrus would be getting to where they live to start with.

I haven't hunted the farms here for bison but I have hunted the wild herd twice with folks who were fortunate enough to draw the tag. One day I hope to draw! I believe a bison from the private herd runs between $2500 to $5000 depending on age and sex of the animal. I know the family and they're good folks who have been doing this a long time.

I have always thought of hunting polar bear. I recall seeing a polar bear rug in front of a stone fireplace in a log cabin when I was just a kid, and thought that I would like to have that one day, not to mention the adventure and the memory of the hunt! While black bear and grizzly bear is not my favourite meat, it is good, and I imagine that polar bear would run in the same category.

Walrus would be an interesting hunt, but after hearing descriptions of muktuk.( if I am recalling the term correctly), I'm not so sure that I'm keen on eating it. So this may be an animal that I won't mind if I never get to hunt.

Muskox on the other hand is definitely on my list to harvest, and hopefully with a bow!

Blkram":1l2ac270 said:
I have always thought of hunting polar bear. I recall seeing a polar bear rug in front of a stone fireplace in a log cabin when I was just a kid, and thought that I would like to have that one day, not to mention the adventure and the memory of the hunt! While black bear and grizzly bear is not my favourite meat, it is good, and I imagine that polar bear would run in the same category.

Walrus would be an interesting hunt, but after hearing descriptions of muktuk.( if I am recalling the term correctly), I'm not so sure that I'm keen on eating it. So this may be an animal that I won't mind if I never get to hunt.

Muskox on the other hand is definitely on my list to harvest, and hopefully with a bow!

muktuk is whale Gil, coak is walrus, but they are cooked the same way. Muskox are taken each year by bow hunters Gil and don't forget we have even had polar bears taken by women bowhunters. As Hodgeman has pointed out the hardest part of hunting walrus or muskox is getting to where they live.

Guy and Gil, would you want to try hunting the polar bear with a bow ? I know you both enjoy bow hunting. Who else would want to hunt them with a bow ?

If I ever had the opportunity to hunt polar bear... I'd want to do so with a good rifle.

My bowhunting skills aren't that great, and as I recall even Fred Bear had rifle backup, when he was hunting the polar bear. I believe he put an arrow in three or four bear, which had to be finished with a rifle when they charged the bowhunter. Eventually he managed to kill one, using only an arrow.

That however is dredged up from OLD memories of a story read long ago.

Short answer, rifle please.

Regards, Guy

Yes, I would like to hunt polar bear with a bow, using the Inuit technique of having the dogs bring he beat in close enough for a shot, and hopefully preventing a charge. But, I will admit that I would prefer to have a rifle for back up, or someone backing me up with a rifle, "just in case"!

I've watched the Gordon Eastman video where the Inuit hunter uses a 222 on a polar bear using his sled dogs as described above. Neat hunt.

Brooke you should post up some pictures of the country you folks are hunting in. I would really enjoy seeing what it is like, and I suspect a lot of the other folks would too! I'm just saying.

Cheyenne, It sure would be nice to see some pictures of your hunting area so we can imagine what it would be like to hunt in your area.

you want to see where I am stuck for the next 4 hours, then google pictures of Iqaluit Nunavut . I was told last year that I am even in one of the pictures, Hopefully we will fly out sooner rather than later

Gil, the dog technique is still used today

I was just told that if you want to see the land throughout the "seasons", as well as the animals then you should google---Images Nunavut Canada landscape---- this will give you a better view of the country outside of the city

after you have looked at all those pictures, go to

1. images for the mackenzie mountains in northwest territories
and
2. images for the mackenzie river in northwest territories

yukon huntress":3tn436eg said:
you want to see where I am stuck for the next 4 hours, then google pictures of Iqaluit Nunavut . I was told last year that I am even in one of the pictures, Hopefully we will fly out sooner rather than later

Gil, the dog technique is still used today

I was just told that if you want to see the land throughout the "seasons", as well as the animals then you should google---Images Nunavut Canada landscape---- this will give you a better view of the country outside of the city

after you have looked at all those pictures, go to

1. images for the mackenzie mountains in northwest territories
and
2. images for the mackenzie river in northwest territories
Thanks I'll do that.

Cheyenne, the time we spent in the Mackenzie's were unforgettable. We will forever be in your debt for helping us with that trip. These pictures just made all of us want to return. If you should ever want to come to New York and need anything please let us know. My children love their moccasins. They tell everybody they were --hand made. thank you. John

In Canada? No. I can hunt them here in Alaska. (y)

5737491447_7a437c96a5_b.jpg

One of my children is alaska Eskimo and polar bear is on his list locally. After seeing quite a few of them in the wild a fair chase on foot spot and stalk hunt would give these animals the respect they deserve. No way could I shoot one surrounded by dogs. Seen several videos of this style hunting and turned them off. That to me is the dogs going hunting, me going shooting. I'd rather meet him on his ice, just the two of us. Man, how cool would that be.

Back