Polar Bear and Walrus

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
I am once again involved in a Walrus and Polar Bear check in Nunavut and was wondering.

"IF" you was able to bring your trophy home (For the U.S. members, because at this moment you can not )
and if it did not cost an arm and leg to hunt them ( unless you are Gil or I )

Would you have any interest in hunting these animals ?

I would.

A polar bear rug would be spectacular.

Sent from the Edge of my Galaxy.

Sure, but they would have to do a DNA test before I pulled the trigger. I understand that shooting a polar/griz can cause you quite a bit of trouble.

For sure the Polar Bear, I have always envied you and Gil on this one, maybe the walrus. what do you hunt them with cheyenne ? Brooke

of course! if I had the funds, the opportunity, and the ability to bring my trophy home I would certainly hunt a polar bear.

i'm not so sure about walrus, just one of those critters i've never really thought about but seeing the polar bears mounted at the Anchorage airport as well as seeing them in zoos I would love to pursue one in the wild

Charlie-NY, those mix breeds are by far the most aggressive and there seems to be more of that happening now than in years past.

Brooke, your 348 would work on both animals. I always recommend something 338 and up for walrus with a good expanding bullet. You try to hunt them at about 30 yards, but you don't want to lose him, so using a larger caliber with a good expanding bullet helps drop him where he is hit. the Walrus does provides a lot of good 'substance" products, cooking clothing, tools, food

I'd love to go Polar Bear hunting and get to experience that beautiful country and the people. They are some tough folks. I'd also very much like to eat Polar Bear meat. I love black bear and I think I would enjoy this as well. Now a Walrus is a cool animal and that would be something different too. Again I would enjoy getting to sample some, and the people up there. It would be pretty darn cool. Count me in!

David

In a heart beat. I would love to hunt a polar bear.

JD338

I'd love to hunt the white bear however, it's not on the bucket list. If I did go on one I'd use the same ice that Doug used for his scotch!

I've always thought hunting the marine mammals like polar bears and walrus (and seals too for that matter) would be interesting. I've been places where they're hunted and it looks like an interesting hunt. I couldn't participate but I would have loved to.

A client of mine had a set of walrus tusks mounted Euro style from the 1960s. Very cool looking mount and an equally incredible story with it.

Yep if I had the dollars I would love to hunt both.
I would likley donate the meat to a northern village / food bank. And keep the hide and head from the Polar bear, and likley have some knife handles or something made from the walrus tusks.
I would only target older mature boars of both species.

I can attest that seal meat is excellent. I can only imagine that other marine mammals would provide a delightful gustatory experience.

DrMike":2tzv0xqk said:
I can attest that seal meat is excellent. I can only imagine that other marine mammals would provide a delightful gustatory experience.

I've tried several of them in my travels... seal is pretty decent stuff. Bowhead whale on the other hand is pretty rough to power down. I would have to imagine that polar bear is just as variable as other bears....I think a polar bear that's fed on bloated whale carcass for a few days is most likely inedible.

Trophy?

I don't need to bring any trophy home. I'd be absolutely enthralled with hunting the polar bear! The experience is enough for me. I need no white furry hide to help me remember, or to show off to my friends. I'd just respectfully remember the hunt.

Walrus. Interesting. I've never really considered hunting walrus. I'd be okay with doing so, if the dead walrus served some purpose to those who live in the area. Is it a challenging hunt at all?

I hunt for the experience, not for the trophy. Meat is a very wonderful by-product of my hunts. I've taken the antlers of my bucks, and the one bull elk I've killed. And I've taken the hides of the bears I've killed. But... I have no need for them. I do like them. But it's the hunt I seek, not the trophy.

Guy

super-7":28kbgcsq said:
Yep if I had the dollars I would love to hunt both.
I would likley donate the meat to a northern village / food bank. And keep the hide and head from the Polar bear, and likley have some knife handles or something made from the walrus tusks.
I would only target older mature boars of both species.

Excellent idea (s)

Dr Mike, we could try to send some south but it might be easier to move you north lol

Hodgeman, you are correct in regards to taste. You have been on the "hunts", whether you pulled the trigger or not, you have had the experience of hunting them. That is great

Guy, in my opinion muskox and walrus are very easy, on the other hand the polar bear is very hard, mainly due to the environment they are hunted in. I have only hunted in Canada, so can not compare the hunts here to hunts in other parts of the world, but for me the polar bear is a dangerous and tough hunt.

Charles, I am still looking for that pen Doug lost while on his hunt and yes the man does love good scotch lol He was never able to connect but said it was one of his best, unsuccessful hunts, ever.

hodgeman":10zeghl9 said:
I've always thought hunting the marine mammals like polar bears and walrus (and seals too for that matter) would be interesting. I've been places where they're hunted and it looks like an interesting hunt. I couldn't participate but I would have loved to.

A client of mine had a set of walrus tusks mounted Euro style from the 1960s. Very cool looking mount and an equally incredible story with it.

hodgeman, a couple of questions. Where did you go, if , it was in Alaska, as I have always wanted to experience hunting these animals, even if I wasn't the "hunter". ? Also, have you hunted buffalo on that fellows farm by you and if so do you remember what he charges for a buffalo hunt ? thank you Brooke

Back