Pondering My .338 Win Mag

Won the rifle auction and the 338 Win Mag 200 grain SST auction.

Going to keep the laminate stock on the Guide Gun for now but if McMillan makes a hunting stock for it I’ll put it in one eventually.

Vince

AR 10 types are really heavy and very awkward to carry on a sling because of the magazine and pistol grip stock.

Any firearm for your intended use should, in my opinion, have an internal box or tube magazine and a normal type stock (a short stock can help).

Lever actions, pumps, and "proven reliable" semi autos... that could be any of several rifles and even a few shotguns.

EDIT:
I re-read the OP... misunderstood it a little the first time so this reply is a little off topic, but I'll leave it... might be useful in some way.

Wish I would have Ceracoated mine- but that wasnt an option way back when. I will say my stuff is pretty babied as I dont "get out" in the inclements so much. I went with bluing, which I also like. My recomendation until you can get it cerracoated is to invest in some "Eezox". (https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Premium-Synthetic-Care) My informal testing with bare steel seems to indicate it works better than Hopes, CLP, BC Stock wax and WAY better than car wax. but that's just me. CL

I have a Winchester M70 Stainless classic in .338 Win. Mag. It too has a 26" barrel and brake. Still beats me to death. I shoot a .416 Rigby and it doesn't hurt me like that .338 Mag does. Frankly, I'd like to get rid of that plastic stock and put something with a bit more weight to it in it's place. Either that or get rid of it.
Paul B.
I'd try a different brake first Paul.

I have a Winchester M70 Stainless classic in .338 Win. Mag. It too has a 26" barrel and brake. Still beats me to death. I shoot a .416 Rigby and it doesn't hurt me like that .338 Mag does. Frankly, I'd like to get rid of that plastic stock and put something with a bit more weight to it in it's place. Either that or get rid of it.
Paul B.
If you decide to part with it Paul let me know! One of the best rifles I've ever had and I am pretty sure I could make sure one of my boys makes use of it!;)

Vince, maybe just get your current rifle chopped a few inches, Cerrakote or Nitride it and take your baby North. A 22" 338 Win Mag isn't a slow poke in the least and man do they handle nice.

If you decide to part with it Paul let me know! One of the best rifles I've ever had and I am pretty sure I could make sure one of my boys makes use of it!;)

Vince, maybe just get your current rifle chopped a few inches, Cerrakote or Nitride it and take your baby North. A 22" 338 Win Mag isn't a slow poke in the least and man do they handle nice.
I’m picking up a 375 Ruger Guide Gun from my FFL later today.
I’m going to keep the 26” barrel and have it Ceracoated. It’ll be my long range gun. Should be great for sheep and caribou while still providing bear protection.

Vince

I'd try a different brake first Paul.
Besides the brake stock fit has a lot to do with how one perceives recoil.

I’d wear my hunting clothes and go to whoever is the guy that measures all the trap & skeet shooters for their stocks.

One thing I really like about the Guide Gun and Gunsite Scout is the adjustable fit feature.

Vince

The nice thing about the laminated stock on the 375 Ruger is that it is stable and is less likely to take on moisture/warp...but should still be sealed to protect fully. It also retains the warmth of wood in the cold, that a synthetic stock won't.

Back