Potential build....

Thanks. I've been looking over a lot of websites and I think I'm leaning towards Krieger, Shilen and Pac-nor right now....probably in that order for the time being with Krieger and Shilen being a toss up. As for contours I'm leaning towards a remington varmint contour or #5-6 contour and probably have it fluted. Oh, and probably 26" for the length.

The shilen barrel that is currently on there was on it when I got and I don't know much about it. It was actually my Dad's rifle that he got in trade for another gun and I then traded a gun to him for it.

I'm still leaning towards the 6.5x47L. Here are the things I like about it:

1. Very little recoil, especially with a muzzle brake so it's a joy to shoot all day long and you can watch the magic happen down range.

2. I can push a 130 grain AccuBond or VLD at 2900ish fps which is plenty flat shooting for what I want to do with it. I'm more concerned with accuracy than blazing speed....

3. It will serve equally well as a target rifle as well as a hunting rifle.

4. Should have plenty of barrel life

5. Doesn't use very much powder

6. I have a secret love affair with Lapua brass

7. I don't know anyone that has that caliber so it's got some cool factor

It will probably be awhile before I can scrape together the cash to get it done, but I like to have it all planned out and know exactly what I want when it comes time to get it all together. Regardless it should be a fun adventure. I just hope it ends up being a shooter!

Wally

I'm not 100% sure but I would be surprised if it was anything else. It's paper thin and heats up extremely fast. Just seems to spread shots around on the paper. I've tried a ton of different loads, seating depth, everything I can think of and the best I can get is a bit over an inch. Which is fine for a general hunting rifle withing 4-500 yards or so but I want much better accuracy than that. And it would be nice to be able to shoot more than 3 rounds before the barrel is so hot you can't hang onto it!

Shoots. Has the rifle shoot under that before? You might want to check to see if the action/stock is bedded. Your barrel may be heating up and touching. Just some things to check before a new barrel.

It has shot that way since I got it. Don't know if it ever shot better than that for the previous owner. And yes it is bedded and free floating. Regardless, I just want a different rifle from what it is now.

Shoots,
I hope I didn't come across wrong when I asked you about the barrel. It sounds like that you've made a good effort to see if the gun would shoot. I sure don't want to discourage you from rebarreling to get a rifle that better suits your needs. I've done that on many occasions. The reason I made the comment was because I've given up on a few barrels, given them away, and they shot great when put on a different action, in a different stock. There are many variables involved in making a rifle shoot accurately. It's really nice when the shooting gods smile upon you, and a rifle shoots anything you put in it.

I noticed that the 6.5x55 was mentioned by someone else. It is a great cartridge. Mine had a 8" twist, and shot all bullet weights exceptionally well. I killed everything from coyotes to elk with mine. If you really want to get jiggy, you can buy wonderfully consistent Lapua brass, and Redding competition dies for it. I had great luck with RL 19, RL 22, H4831, and H4350. Use the Nosler manual, as some manuals run very low pressures because of old Krags and 96 Mausers.

I've also had extraordinary good luck with the 270 Winchester. Now days there are lots of good lighter bullets, and the 140 AccuBond or the 150 Partition will handle anything without extra thick hide or sharp teeth. You can also throw the Bergers in there for long range shooting, although I've had no complaints with the Accubonds for long range.

My preference for barrels has been stainless steel Kriegers.

Good luck and have fun with your project!

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Not too strong at all. I've looked at the 6.5x55...my Dad actually has one. It's fun to shoot. For some strange reason I really just want something different that nobody else has. Don't really know why, but I do. I know it's becoming a more popular cartridge but I haven't heard of anyone in my neck of the woods using one, so it's new to me! :)

I'm also just excited about building something up the way I want it rather than taking a factory gun and tweaking it.

Thanks for the advice on the barrels. The Stainles Krieger's seem to be very highly rated and are decently priced. They are right up there on my list of choices.

Regards,

Tim

The smith who builds my Long Range rifles, says I'll use any barrel ya want, but I recomend Hart, kreiger, lilja, broughton, or Rock Creek. Thats good enough advise for me.
RR

shoots_5":1p0kkkmv said:
Thanks. I've been looking over a lot of websites and I think I'm leaning towards Krieger, Shilen and Pac-nor right now....probably in that order for the time being with Krieger and Shilen being a toss up. As for contours I'm leaning towards a remington varmint contour or #5-6 contour and probably have it fluted. Oh, and probably 26" for the length.

The shilen barrel that is currently on there was on it when I got and I don't know much about it. It was actually my Dad's rifle that he got in trade for another gun and I then traded a gun to him for it.

I'm still leaning towards the 6.5x47L. Here are the things I like about it:

1. Very little recoil, especially with a muzzle brake so it's a joy to shoot all day long and you can watch the magic happen down range.

2. I can push a 130 grain AccuBond or VLD at 2900ish fps which is plenty flat shooting for what I want to do with it. I'm more concerned with accuracy than blazing speed....

3. It will serve equally well as a target rifle as well as a hunting rifle.

4. Should have plenty of barrel life

5. Doesn't use very much powder

6. I have a secret love affair with Lapua brass

7. I don't know anyone that has that caliber so it's got some cool factor

It will probably be awhile before I can scrape together the cash to get it done, but I like to have it all planned out and know exactly what I want when it comes time to get it all together. Regardless it should be a fun adventure. I just hope it ends up being a shooter!

Here a good article on the 6.5's
http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shoo ... dmoor/?p=1

Shoots_5

6mm Remington is all you need! It's fast, accurate, and has plenty of pop for long range antelope, deer, and coyotes. I would go with a 1-9 twist barrel that was 24 inches long. As far as barrel make, I have heard lots of good things about both Lilja and Shilen.

I am loading the new 90 gr. E-tip in my son's Ruger that has the 22" barrel, and it chronographs at 3180 fps. In my Ruger #1B with it's 26" barrel, I am getting 3100 or a bit more with 100 gr. Partitions. Pop has a load with R22 that he gets something like 3200 or 3250 fps with the same weight of bullet! I'm going to have to try that R22 myself! My load is with IMR4350. It sure shoots great though!! 6mm Remingtons have good barrel life too, but as some have said, it's easy to burn a barrel out if you shoot too many rounds too quickly without letting it cool down on any cartridge.

Second choice- 6.5-06 for sure! Easy to size up 25-06 brass and you are set to go. I have to say though, there is nothing wrong with the great 25-06. Maybe you got a sour barrel. My wife has a 25-06, and I think it's a great long range deer, antelope, and coyote gun. I also killed a spike bull elk with it with a 120 gr. Partition at about 350 yards! Also killed a spike bull with my 6mm Remington, but that time it was maybe 30 yards in timber....

Back