Powder Measures

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
While the Smart Reloader scale is attractively price, it is new enough to give me hesitation when compared to Hornady. On the other hand, Smart Reloader is a Swiss company, which gives me some comfort that the equipment may be okay. Hornady is a quality company that is well recognized among hand loaders. I can't say enough good things about my Charge Master, and RCBS is well known as standing behind what they market. Is it worth $120 more than the Hornady? That is a tough one. If I were buying at this time, I'd likely take a hard look at the Hornady on price alone. If it comes anywhere near matching the Charge Master in time to throw a charge, I'd likely run with that. I'm guessing that RCBS will be forced to reduce their price before much longer, though.

Scotty, you cant go wrong with the RCBS chargemaster. I have had mine for 3 years and absolutly love it, i dont know how i got by without it. Lee

Scotty , I'm guessing I'm allowed to post links to other forums , or they just didn't ban me yet . LOL here is a comparison between a few of these . I have the Lyman DPS1200 "1" I sure don't recommend it . maybe the 2 or 3 version is better , I don't know . I think I'm going to buy a really good digital scale ,accurate to .02 , and the electric powder trickler . I'll use a Lee spoon and then trickle to my desired weight . Jim

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-rev ... -part-one/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-rev ... -part-two/

I really like my RCBS Chargemaster. Been having a problem with the dispense button sticking and not throwing a charge. Doesn't happen often.

Thanks guys. I hate buying electronics and such. I think it's kind of a tie between the Hornady and Smart scale right now. I know they will both be useful and get plenty of use, that's for sure. Scotty

I've used the RCBS and it worked great. We only used ball and short extruded powders at the time but it was very accurate. I just didn't see the huge time-saving benefit. YMMV.

Have had an RCBS for three years. All of a sudden one day it would not turn on. Called RCBS and they said send it in (this comes with a one year warranty). A couple days later they called and said I have an "old model" for $40 we will send you a new one. So for $40 I got a brand new Chargemaster. Maybe the extra cost is worth sometning, but they made me very happy.

I have had my charge master for 3 years never had a bit of problem with.

Blessings,
Dan

A $40 upgrade to the newest model sounds like a fair deal to me from RCBS.

I probably can not help much with this. I do have a Hornady digital scale (Model GS350) and it is a little flaky sometimes on Tare and adding weight for small increments of more powder. It is an older design model from a couple years ago though.

RCBS, i have two of them and they both work great, the reason i have two is so that me and my dad can both reload at the same time using different powders, we were originally going to go with the Hornady to save money, but after reading reviews on many different sites like Midway and Cabela's we decided to go with the RCBS Charge Master Combo, and now that it is done we could not be any happier with are two purchases. Just my two cents. Mick

I have been running a RCBS for about 4 years ( at least that long I think), and have never had a problem with it. It works great, and is simple to use. I have never been around any of the others, so I can't comment on them, but I would sure buy green again if I was doing it again.

Thanks for all of the comments. I am looking forward to giving the electronic powder measures a try. If anything it will have to add to the consistency of my stuff. Scotty

Okay, so which did you go with? I should think that a review in the Review Section is merited which ever of the two you get.

I ordered the isd Smart Reloader Mike. Natchez has it on sale for 165.00. For that price I really couldn't pass it up. I watched a few of their how to videos and it seems to work fine. It has a 2 year warranty, so hopefully I mess it up before that is up. Looking forward to giving it a try. It is kinda taking the next level for me in uniforming my loads for consistency. Scotty

That is a super price and the videos certainly make it attractive. I do like the two-year warranty.

Hey Scotty!
I mentioned to you that I just recently got the RCBS unit with dispenser. Feel in love the first day and for a little over a month it is running fine. I had called RCBS and spoke with them about their warranty and service. RCBS has treated me so good with every product that I have had an issue with, no questions asked, that it is hard not to justify the additional cost.

..but that Smart Reloader is one a friend is looking at becuase of the 2 year warranty. A phone call to their CS might be a thought if considering that one.

I did research on the Hornady one and saw more not so good comments for me to cnsider this one.

338winmag

I figure I will give it a whirl at half the cost of an RCBS. Can't hurt too much, right? Scotty

Back