Powder temp question

bacova

Beginner
Oct 9, 2005
I know that some powders are prone to producing different results at different temperatures, but I'm not quite up to par on how much these differences can be. Here's my question, hopefully someone can fill me in.

Last week I was at the range testing some loads. I was alone except for one other shooter who I see there quite often. I was shooting one of my Ruger #1s and these particular rounds were loaded with RL-19. I was in the middle of a 5 shot string when the other shooter wandered over and started talking. I generally wait 3 to 5 minutes between shots and leave the breach open to aid in cooling. That was the case here, the rifle was sitting in a Sinclair benchrest with the breach open, BUT I had just inserted a round and was preparing to fire. I chatted with the other fellow for maybe 6 to 8 minutes, then he walked off and I turned back to the rifle. That's when the idea hit me, "this round had been sitting here in a hot chamber for close to 10 minutes, I wonder if the powder has heated up enough to affect accuracy?"

I closed the breach and took the shot. Sure enough, the POI was a good 1.5" to the left of an otherwise 0.640" group. The first 3 rounds were touching, the hot round was 1.5" off center, then the 5th round was right back in the group.

Now I realize there's an excellent chance my marksmanship was to blame, that would be the first explanation, but I really don't think so. The gun is a proven shooter, doesn't throw flyers, I'm shooting from a Sinclar rest with a ProTektor rear bag and everything is rock steady. The particular load I was shooting is an old favorite and always shoots true.

The only difference I can see is I let the cartridge sit there in a hot chamber for close to 10 minutes, certainly the powder had to heat up considerably. I never do this, my normal routine is to let the barrel cool a few minutes and only insert a round and close the breach when I'm seconds before firing.

I don't know if RL-19 is one of the powders that's reactive to extreme temp changes, or if those changes could be enough to throw a round 1.5" at 100 yds. Can anyone here help me out? Did hot powder cause my flyer, or am I just a bad shot? LOL.

Thanks, Bacova.

It would be very interesting to me to see if you could reproduce the problem. You might go to the range and try to recreate the sequence and see if you get another flyer, it could be interesting.

Powders certainly react to being preheated. Several years back I was reloading 7mm Rem Mag ammo for a good friend for his hunting trips. One day he called me up, madder than hell. He claimed the ammo I had loaded for him was too hot and he could hardly get the bolt open. I had him tell me about what had happened and it seemed he had let the shells sit out in the direct sun for quite a while before shooting them. I had him try them again in the morning when it was cool and the shells were not preheated. They were fine and he continued to shoot the same load for years.

Another friend was shooting his 22-250 one day and elected to let some of his ammo sit on the dash of his pickup for most of the day. (When it was over 100 degrees F.) When he tried to shoot that ammo the pressure signs were very dramatic. Same ammo he shoots on a routine basis, but when heated up on that pickup dash it was dangerous.

bacova,

Since the rifle/load are proven performers, it sure makes me wonder too.
It would be interesting to try to duplicate the conditions any try it again.
Let us know your test results.

JD338

OK, will do. Next time I'm at the range I'll see if the same thing happens after I pre-heat a round. May not shoot exactly the same as the last one, probably won't, but it will be interesting to see if I get another flyer.

bacova,

Thanks for putting forth the effort. Your test results will be interesting and informative. What caliber and load are you shooting in your No.1 Ruger?

JD338

First off let me apologise, I made a mistake, the powder wasn't RL-19, it was RL-22. I've been testing so many different bullets and powders in this rifle lately that I got myself confused. It was only after checking my shot log and the actual target that I realized my mistake.

This particular #1 is the model 1-V in 25-06. The load in question is 55 gr of RL-22 behind a 100 gr Barnes TSX, using a Federal 210M primer. This load averages 3289 fps according to my Alpha Master, amazingly close to what the manual predicts. Also, since I was holding the target in my hand I checked with my calipers and the flyer was 1.210". Imagine that, I exaggerated a flyer, LOL, bet that doesn't happen to often. The other 4 shots in the group could be covered by a nickle. On my previous range session I had shot 3 groups with this same load that measured from 0.686" to 0.918". All of them 5 shot groups.

In consulting my logbook I see this same rifle has shot 5 shot groups of 0.728" and 0.743" using the 100 gr Sierra spire point and 56 gr of H-4831sc. as well as 0.608" and 0.701" using the 100 gr Nosler BT and 55gr of H-4832sc and 0.642" and 0.643" using the 85 gr Nosler BT and 55.8 gr of H-4831sc. All this in the past week or 10 days.

I know, just a bunch of numbers, sorry, but I'm sitting here thumbing through a bunch of targets and data that illustrate how good this rifle shoots with about anything I feed it. I guess that's why the 1.2" HOT flyer caught my attention. This really is a great shooting rifle and I was amazed to see a bullet strike so far off target. In all probability I just blew the shot, but I'm going to take the suggestions and see if I can reproduce the effects of that pre-heated round.

Thanks for the advice and sorry again for all the numbers.

Bacova

Back