pressure headspace question

mmatthews

Beginner
Oct 2, 2007
I am getting ready to do some loads for a. Buddies 22-250. His fired brass, factory ammo and some reloads all have a common problem.
The primers all sit proud of the case after firing. There is no powder discharge or leakage, flattend primers or ejector marks.Reloads wer 37G H380 seated to S.A.A.M.I.OAL. Is this a presure problem or a headspace? Or both? Thanks for the help.
Mike

most likely a rough chamber not allowing the brass to slide back against the bolt face. What kind of gun/age/number of rounds fired? usually a little flitz will solve that problem.

My guess is a headspace issue. Do you have a Stoney Point headspace tool? Measure to the datum line on a new case and a fired case.Rick.

I agree it is likely headspace.
Soot or color the shoulder of your fired cases with a magic marker and adjust the sizer to only contact 1/2 - 2/3 of the shoulder and see if they still do it. Some sizeing dies will push the shoulder back too far if screwed all the way down and creat a bit of head space. The primer then backs out when the cartridges goes off and if the load is light enough it stays slightly high in the pocket as the pressure doesn`t drive the case back over it.
If your sizer is doing this you are also overworking your brass and case life will be short.

Back