Primers....good & bad

Browning

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
Hi All,

Newbie here (to the forum anyway) from the UK.

I'm just getting back into reloading after a number of years away.

I currently have two calibers that I will be reloading. .243Win and .270Win.

The .243Win will be loaded with Hodgdon H414, pushing 70grn BT for Fox, and 100gn partitions for small Deer. (Muntjac, Roe)

The .270Win will be loaded with Hodgdon H4831SC, pushing 130gn Partition for large Deer. (Fallow, Red)

I am unsure as to which primer to go for and would appreciate any practical advice from you guys.

Any std large rifle primer will work. I use the winchester WLR in my 270 if that means anything.
Welcome back.............. :)

Browning,

Go with Federal GM210M Match Grade primers and don't look back.

JD338

I would try both the Winch WLR's and the Fed GM's (210). I have 2 - 270's and one likes one and the other the other. Go figure. I'm not complaining, I have both anyway.....just that every gun is just a little bit different, even when they are the same brand and caliber. Overall, though, I have found more loads that like the WLR's than any other primer.

Blaine

Another plug for the WLR, my go-to primer when others don't do the job to my satisfaction. Eagleye.

I have always used cci 200s. John barnsness did a test using different primers. Those happened to be the most consistent pressure wise. I believe the WLR was the worst with very large pressure variencies. maybe as much as 5000-6000 psi. It was in either Handloader or Rifle. It is also my belief that the only difference in BR and standard primers is that the more ecperienced workers spray the BR. I've tried and can't tell any difference in accuracy in my sporters. capt david

captdavid":3tjglgej said:
I have always used cci 200s. John barnsness did a test using different primers. Those happened to be the most consistent pressure wise. I believe the WLR was the worst with very large pressure variances. maybe as much as 5000-6000 psi. It was in either Handloader or Rifle. It is also my belief that the only difference in BR and standard primers is that the more ecperienced workers spray the BR. I've tried and can't tell any difference in accuracy in my sporters. capt david

I also did my own test using identical loads with WLR's, Fed GM, Fed GM Mag's, Remington, CCI BR's. The Remington's produced the greatest velocity variance, WLR's and Fed GM's were the closest. Accuracy (in that particular load) was best with the WLR's with the FED GM's a close 2nd. The Remington's were the worst, with the CCI BR's a close second.

Blaine

Back