Pro's vs Cons 257WBY vs 25-06

NOW YOUR'E TALKIN!!!!!!!! :p

#5 fluted 27" 257STW!!!! :lol:

DO IT!!!! :twisted:

I DARE YOU!!!! :twisted:

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA

:shock:

Wow, don't push me there. I would still think the 257 Bee would be my top end. Although, that does sound like a really cool cartridge. Seems like I would have to start buying powder by the 8lb kegs! The more I think of it, the better it sounds. Plus, I have never rechambered or rebarreled anything, so it would be a cool project I think. Scotty

Semi-Custom .257 Bee :grin: !

I'd do a 6.5 RUM before the .257STW myself, but if you rebarreled your current action, you couldn't certainly guarantee setting the barrel up with the correct twist for the *heavier* bullets......

Mark, the 6.5 is my next addition, after I knock this 257 out of my system. I have wanted a 264/6.5 something for a long time! I learned to load on the 264 Win Mag, so something along those lines would be right up my alley. I am thinking the 6.5-06 would be pretty awesome. Plus, there are a ton of rifles that wouldn't need too much to make one. Scotty

That is the way I would go and I have often thought of doing the same with my 7 mag but it has too much sentimental value.

I think you should do a SCRAMJET!

One thing you may want to consider instead of a weatherby is a 264win necked down to 257 cheaper components?

But definately rebarrel that is a fantastic idea Iam envious

I thought about this topic a few years ago & decided on a 25-06AI in the Sendero. Match grade chamber, 25-06 brass, can shoot fact 25-06 ammo, within 75-100fps of the Wea, about 125fps faster than the 25-06, works for me.

I have to say right up front that I am really a 25-06 man. I have killed hundreds of deer as a crop damage control hunter with about 90% of the factory and some wildcat calibers from 22lr through 45-70. 99.9% of the deer that I shoot with a 25-06 and a 117 Sierra bullet drop in their tracks from point blank up to a little over 500 yards which is as far as I have shot deer. The 257 WM will do the same thing but it burns more powder and the cases cost much more and you will not get the barrel life out of it that you will a 25-06. With that said I am building a new love affair with the 264 Win Mag. Traded my buddy out of one that he had just had made up in the fall of 2008 that had less that 40 rounds through it. It is a Rem 700 with a Shilen #5 27 3/4" barrel. I worked up a deer hunting load of 66.5 grs Retumbo, CCI 250 primer, WW case reformed from 7mm Rem mag, 130 Nosler AccuBond and it averages 3350 fps and will put three in a ragged hole at 100 yards. I killed four deer with it this past season from 98 to 275 yards all one shot drop them in their tracks kills. Talk about flat shooting, this thing is like a string out to 450 yards. If I were you and I had a long mag action that I wanted to re-barrel to fill your notch it would be in 264 Win Mag with as long a barrel as I could get. This wold be strictly a deer to elk size game rifle. If I were going to through varmints into the mix I would trade or sale the M-70 for a Rem 700 Sendero ( they don't make them any more but you can find them used) or a Savage heavy barrel in 25-06 with at least a 24" barrel 26" is better. My current 25-06 I have had for a number of years is a Rem Sportsman 78 (poor mans 700) action with a Shilen SS #6 26" barrel in a H&S precision stock that will put five 117 Sierra's under 3/4" at 300 yards on a calm day. I call it "Light Switch". When you flick the bang switch it turns out the lights. :lol:

I like the 264 quite alot also, but I have a 7mm Rem Mag and a 270WSM. Both of those are pretty close to the 264, not that I care about overlap, but I am sticking with a .257 of some sort. I really think the 257WBY is going to get the nod. I have a good rifle right now, that will be fairly inexpensive to rebarrel, and PacNor has given me a great price for the work. Plus, the rifle shouldn't need any further mods. I will save up for a B&C Medalist Stock and a Timney trigger. With those additions, I can't see me not have a really accurate rifle. I will shoot for a 26-27" barrel.

I don't really mind the price of cases, they tend to last quite awhile and the Norma seems to be a good enough case. Again, powder burners are fine with me, I have mostly magnum sized cases, so it goes with the territory! Plus, I have to stick with .257 calibers, since I have already stocked up on so many bullets! Scotty

+1 what remingtonman_25_06 said with the exception that if I could have
only one rifle, it would be THE one, not the top three. The .25-06 could
very well be the most versatile rifle out there. Most are accurate enough
to tune a load to pop the head of a squirrel or rabbit easily at one hundred
yards. With today's selection of equalizer bullets, it can take elk at the
other end of one's meal needs.

I have a .243 and a 7mm WSM as well, so there is an overlap in what
each can do.

My most accurate load for the .25-06 is with a Nos 85gr BT ahead of
54.5gr RL 17. (This powder is making me smile with all three calibers,
and I'm sure there's a very good load using it in the .257 Wby as well.)

Just get the one you will be the most happy with.

beretzs":1k9th43q said:
Here is a good question for you all. I already have a Weatherby Vanguard in my safe. It is a 7mm Rem Mag, and is a decent enough rifle, but since I already have a M70 in the same caliber, what would your thoughts be on rebarreling it to a 26" tube for 257WBY? Seems like it could be done cheaper than buying a new rifle and I was thinking of turning it into a 358 Norma anyhow. Has anyone here rebarreled a Vanguard? It shoots okay, but two 7mm's are one two many really, as I like the M70 more anyhow. Scotty

That's what I would do. I have two 7mags in my safe, and I've never shot either one. Of course, I just picked up a .257 SPS-SS, so my Weatherby itch is (sorta) scratched, but a PacNor 26" stainless .264 barrel may be in my future...

I've been thinking about picking up either a Vanguard or Howa action for some sort of project... If I could find a couple of Wizzum donors, I could do a .257 and a 6.5 WSM. Or maybe a .358 WSM.

If I had a proper WSM action, I would have gone with the 25-270WSM without a doubt. I like the WSM cases, easy to load and they get nearly WBY speeds in shorter/lighter actions. Since I already have this 7mm, it is just as easy to build the 257 and call it a day. Either way, should be alot of fun. Scotty

Here is the rifle that will likely get rebarreled to 257 something or other! Scotty

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Scotty,

Since you have a Wby Vanguard, it only makes sense to go with the 257 Wby.
Screw on a quality 26-27" barrel and you are set to go.

JD338

I think you are right Jim. Should be an easy deal. Gotta get a new trigger for it though. Other than that, it is ready to go. I actually like it, just don't really care to shoot it, since my real 7mm Rem Mag is a M70! Scotty

Is this your 7RM Vanguard? If so, that's a game changer for one big reason & a couple of others.
1. It allready has the Magnum boltface, you would have to get a diff. bolt for 25-06 as you know.
2. like JD said, it is a good fit to have a Wea. round in a Wea. rifle & esp. if you heed his advise & get a 26"-27" tube. The Van. with a 24" is the reason I went the AI route in my Sendero.
3. You said the ammo price is not a big deal in this particular rifle, which is the main pro. with the Wea. round.

Yep, 257 wea!!!

Yup, it is currently a 7RM. I like it, just not the way it is. The 257 will get at least a 26" tube. I like the stock, scope is pretty decent, and it sits in Talley Mounts. The trigger will get changed out to a Timney or something nice. Other than that, it is ready to go! Scotty

Scotty,

If you could send it off now, you might get it back in timefor this season.
Maybe a late season WT doe hunt and winter coyotes. :grin:
Plenty of load references here to speed up the process for ya.

JD338

Back