Published in Successful Hunter Magazine!

ShadeTree":tnlnhi00 said:
Hey that's pretty cool! That trip just keeps giving back to you. Congratulations!

Thanks. It was quite an adventure. A dream hunt. The hunt of a lifetime.

I had to write the story. Just glad the editor saw fit to publish it! (y)

Guy

Thanks All! The print magazine hit the newsstands this week.

Guy

Well, the digital version finally showed up but for some reason only 14 pages will download. The good news is the 14th page is the last page of Guy’s story! Standby everyone....

Very neat account of a successful hunt. Again, congratulations to Guy on a great hunt.

Just read your article; excellent photo's and well written. Another JOC in the making! Is one grizzly enough or would you do it again? I love the use of the 30-06. Awesome bear.

270elk":206qfkyu said:
Just read your article; excellent photo's and well written. Another JOC in the making! Is one grizzly enough or would you do it again? I love the use of the 30-06. Awesome bear.

Thanks!

I think one grizzly is enough. Felt that way as soon as he was down. I could see going for one of the big coastal brownies someday, or if I had the cash, even polar bear. What an adventure that would be! But for now, I'll content myself with just hunting our Washington state black bears.

Re the 30-06, the good folks here had to put up with me going back and forth between the 30-06 and the 375 H&H for the arctic hunt... I had good loads worked up for each of them, and it was really a couple of questions from my outfitter, Lyle Becker, that led me to choose the 30-06 rifle:

1. "This is tough country, difficult hiking. Which rifle is lighter?" Well, the 30-06 by a fair margin.

2. "This is open country, you may need to make a 300 yard shot. Which one do you shoot better at 300 yards?" Well, the 30-06, but not by all that much. The 375 shoots well at that range too.

In the end, it was almost a coin toss. I went with the rifle I was most familiar with. Lyle told me the 30-06 with 200 gr Nosler Partitions was plenty of rifle for Arctic Grizzly. He's right. Interestingly each of the guides, Joey and Lyle, had just come from a month of guiding for brown bear hunts on Kodiak. Lyle brought his 375, Joey brought his 338. Ya, my 30-06 cartridges looked kind of small next to those bigger cartridges. :grin:

Perhaps the smartest thing I did was to use that 30-06 for the fall of 2016 hunting season, taking elk, mule deer, black bear and pronghorn with it. By the time I got to Alaska, I was very familiar with it.

Thanks all for the compliments. I enjoyed the hunt, the drive up and back, and writing the article. Hunt of a lifetime for me.

Regards, Guy

Having worked north of the Arctic Circle on a couple of environmental/Geology projects I know how hard it is walk let alone run on the tundra. One of the sites where I worked required a bear guard for our protection during the days of work with an electric fence at night. The arctic-grizzly just has a grouch-on and you need to respect it. Again very well done!

Guy, what a fantastic hunt. Congratulations

excluding travel cost, what does a hunt like this cost ? I need to start saving my pennies

hunternyny":1azqudmw said:
Guy, what a fantastic hunt. Congratulations

excluding travel cost, what does a hunt like this cost ? I need to start saving my pennies

They vary quite a bit, but figure at least $12k for the hunt. I saved for it, for quite a while.

Talked to one outfitter who quoted me $26k, but that was for coastal brown bear, with a good chance of taking a record-book size bear. Was a great conversation even after I explained that I wasn't going to buy a $26k hunt, and I learned a lot. That was the most expensive bear hunt I looked at, but several others were close to that.

Other things to consider include the cost of the license/tag, chartering the plane to and from the remote hunting area, taxidermy, shipping of the hides, tips for the guides, etc... It adds up pretty fast.

A buddy of mine was going to hunt with me, and backed out when he got an interesting offer. I was also offered this, but I'd already decided I wanted to go to Alaska. He went to the Kamchatka peninsula, Pacific coast of Siberia basically, and hunted two nice size brown/grizzly bears for about the same price. We had very different hunts. One problem was that during the spring, there were no west coast flights to Vladivastok or anywhere in that area, so he had to fly across the USA, across the Atlantic, across Europe, across most of Russia... He did get two bears, for about the same cost, but I wouldn't trade hunts.

Guy

Guy, what a wonderful hunt and story, congratulations on the hunt and the published story.

I know that on occasion I will fly someone somewhere and the amount I receive is always welcome but part of the hunt expenses some do not plan for. What we charge to take polar bear hunters out on a dog sled is ridiculous, but it is the only way they can hunt them

I am sure that when people like Hodgeman, Bear, Gil and Dr Mike, see these costs to hunt animals like Bear, Moose, Goat and Sheep they count their blessings, as hunters.

I hope you get to hunt the coastal grizzly and maybe even a combo Grizzly/Moose hunt

Did you make rug, wall hanger, coat, or ?

Back