QL 6mm Creed please

Just me, but I’d never compromise twist for a bullet. Seems backwards to me. Especially when the 108 is only a few points in front of the others.

I like where your head is at Jorey... but having chased the “ultimate coyote rifle” dragon for about 30 years now... I’m starting to believe “ith’s a pigment of my imagination” as Mike Tyson says.

Fact is..... the 108 ain’t the only hat in the ring. There’s a bunch of high BC bullets that would work just as well as the 108. I bet I’ve killed over 50 coyotes at 600+.... with everything from .223 to .300 RUM.... but most of them were with 6mms or 6.5s of some type. At that range, almost regardless of bullet or cartridge, dogs run even when hit hard.

Also.... the difference between 3300 and 3400 is minimal at best when talking LR hits.... especially on little targets like coyotes. Wind eats your lunch there.... you know that.

Shock and Awe has worked the best for me when it comes to all-around coyote killing with the 6mms. A 55 at 4K for calling and quick shots out to 400ish.... and a 105/108 at 3k for LR work.

Last.... but certainly not least.... is the 87 Vmax. I know.... I know.... that .400 BC is a turn off. BUT.... you can shoot them FAST, and that does make up some ground. I’ve never seen an 87 Vmax come apart in flight, even at 3850 out of a 6mm WSM.

Songdog- All very valid points! I can try the hornady 105g HPBT Match as well, it might have a little thicker jacket than the 108 ELDM, plus I already have a good little stash of them around 500, and they dont give up anything BC wise.

I also have 1,000 of the 87g VMAX as that's what bullet I originally shot from the factory 10 twist at 3400-3450fps. I figured that bullet was the best from the beginning, since I was limited with the 10 twist. It's not a bad bullet to 600 yards for sure, but it just doesnt hang with the 105-108s past that. But, do you recall what twist those 87s were coming out at 3850fps? Will they stay together in an 8 twist that fast? The VMAX must have a thicker jacket than the ELDM to withstand almost 350K RPM, assuming an 8 twist was used at 3850fps. I dont have any problems using the 87g VMAX for probably 90% of my shots.

Think I'm leaning towards the 8 twist and just trying the 105g Hornady HPBT Match and the 87g VMAX.

The 6mm WSM was a re-chambered Rem factory barrel.... so it would have been 1-9.125” twist.

I think your best move is your initial plan, 28” 1-8” .240 Bee..... here’s why:

You’re already set-up to load it.
It’s a roll of the dice on the 108s, but you know it will shoot everything else just fine.
If it shoots the 108s at 3400, and they stay together.... then you’re golden.
If the 108s get squirrelly on you.... your options are threefold:
Back off the gas.... maybe they’re fine at 3300?
Start cutting back the barrel an inch at a time, to reduce velocity...
Simply shoot a different bullet....

Savvy?

frankm":3g9vfebq said:
We ve been able to keep 108 s alive at 3350 in a 27” tube with a 6-280AI. 110 MK have went past 3400 FPS in a 30” barreled rifle of same caliber. Don’t think your expansion with MK will be as good though but man they shoot flat!

We ve had more bullet blowups with the 88 Eldm in 22 caliber though. 3200-3250 FPS with those in a 26” barreled 22 CM or 22-250 AI is all we can get. Crank them to 3350-3375 FPS in the 30” tube and around half of them hit the dirt 30-40 yards out!!

This has been my experience with the 88 ELDM in the 22CM as well. Went to the 95 SMK and never had an issue. That combo has accounted for several mule deer with some of the most impressive results I have ever seen from any caliber on deer. BUT, I quit using them for deer as half of the coyotes I shoot with them run a long ways with pensile holes and I won't chance that on deer.

Jorey, if your that worried about BC and speed, go with a different bullet. Or, slow it down a smidge. The reality of it is that 85% of your dogs will be under 400 yards. If you want speed, drop to a 9 twist and push the 87gr that you have always loved as hard as you can and call it good. No dog will walk away from that at any range.

I think you're over thinking this a bit bud (says the guy who is guilty of this everyday).

jmad_81":22ites3a said:
I think you're over thinking this a bit bud (says the guy who is guilty of this everyday).

No way! Overthink stuff! I have 20 things rolling through my brain as I type this! :lol:

I won't be surprised if someday my Rem 700 308 "Green Machine" becomes a 6mm Creedmoor.

I like the cartridge, but that danged Ruger Precision Rifle is so big & heavy. Very cumbersome. Fine at the range, from the bench... Otherwise? Ugh.

Guy

Back