QL Chamber Pressure Settings

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I have been discussing some of my thoughts about the 10 shot ladder test on a different forum and have been semi called out about using the QL to check the pressure of my loads with the doubters saying I'm going to blow up my rifle and to not trust the predicted pressures.
I know there is always a chance of loading a boooomer but always try to stay 1000psi below max with my loads.
Everyone is saying to stick with published max loads and proven psi readings for a given load in a manual.
I'm not worried about the safety of my loads just want to know if the nay sayers are blowing smoke.

Keep in mind that QL is just a guide. When I reload for a certain rifle, I check through at least 4 loading manuals before settling on charges for my load workups. I mostly start in the middle and work my way up to slightly over max. I have started using ladder tests the last 5 trips out and log in each velocity / POI in my notebook. I check each case for signs of pressure and feel bolt lift, case swipe, etc. I would open QL and put in all the data and tweak my Ba to match my velocity / temp and see where I am at. The last 3 ladder tests have been spot on and results was superb on second time out to confirm. The previous ladder test was with the 7 Mag and I am working on a load approaching maximum pressure with the 160 AB and Retumbo. It's about common sense and observations for your safety. Imagine 65k psi of flying metal due to someone's incompetence. There is no need to turn a .280 into a 7mm Mashburn.

Truck Driver,

I'm not sure what you consider blowing smoke?

I consider Quick Load as a loading manual that I can adjust to the results my rifle, lot of powder / brass / primer, shooting conditions, etc. provide. When un-calibrated OL gives a good idea just like any other reloading manual that in the fine print is applicable to a specific lot of brass, powder, bullet, primer and gun. Which is why I'm like TackDriver284 and use due diligence in my load development and as many different manuals (including QL) as I can to frame my expectations and establish a starting load.

I will add that my concern with just using one manual, QL or other, is that their could be a typo or other mistake in the manual.

The naysayers don't know what QL provides the reloader with. They are talking generally. At the end there is step 0 for minus 10% (weak powder) or plus 10% really dangerously hot powder. If you are achieving the hot powder speeds long before you reach theoretical max, you will know the powder is off spec. Likewise if you reach max and you are under velocity 300fps, you could cautiously keep going up till you reach the goal or hit pressure signs. Plus when you get a new batch, you can confidently verify equivalency or differentiability.

I'm ready to drop the coin for QL. I want a web version vs PC. Right now PC only. Siting a gov regulation requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":2waje5gy said:
... PM me if you want an example.
I'm doing a 303 Savage for a friend right now. Very hard to find recipes. I'm triangulating. The die set had a recipe that looks conservative. Max speed should be around 2400 fps, but they stopped at 2200. It similar to a 3030 case vol and bullets. so I'm cross referencing it to a real 3030 in parallel to the load development on the 303 savage. The triangle part is I can use the 3030 data to calibrate the powder batch... which should help us figure out if we can get to 2400fps safely. I don't have QL on the old cartridge, but do for 3030

Uncalibrated, QL is a SWAG.
Once calibrated to actual results it's pretty close. If you have reamer info freebore can even be input. That, with temp, burn rate, case capacity etc are imo better than manuals. I'm not dissing manuals at all, I collect them, but to blindly accept them as flawless isn't very smart. They'll keep you out of trouble by using their loads, but to illustrate a point, take any two from different companies on the same cartridge, bullet weight and powder and see the difference. Yes, part of that is differences in bullets, bearing surface and such. Just remember what potential liability may be assumed by publishing the manual. I'm certain the powder and bullet companies lawyers have some say in how warm they let them publish.
May get me in trouble but the manuals are a SWAG also. The test barrels used are probably slightly different than the reamer used in a persons particular rifle. Who knows how many barrels that factory reamer did prior to that one. Heck, pull up PT&G and look at the variations available on "factory" chamberings
I'm comfortable with QL once I get it dialed in.

Thanks for the replies I just needed to clear the air since I was beat up fairly good.
I don't own a copy as of yet and have to rely on others that do and Dewey provides me with 90% of all my info and I greatly appreciate his help, I also get info from DrMike, Scotty and Fotis whom I trust since I know they have been using the program long enough to know the ends and outs of it.
I still look at manuals to see how they compare and just used a Speer manual to get a starting load to fire form some brass.

Back