QL guesstimate?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
In my 24" 300WM (Mesa) I use SIG and Jagmann brass. With a fired primer, fired cases with fired primers left in weigh (Sig 244.2 grains. Filled with water it weighs 335.5 gr)
***(Jagmann fired case/fired primer weighs 252.3gr and filled with water weighs 342.5gr)
Obviously the jagmann is thicker, by 8.1gr more weight. My rifle also has a minimum spec chamber. So far, I've only used the SIG bras for mid range loads or reduced loads. I save the Jagmann for hunting loads. I have to stay at least 1 to 2 grains below some listed Max loads too!

So, using the above capacities, which will help I hope, I need a "guesstimate" or a SWAG at how fast these two loads are going? I'm "thinking around 3200 or a bit more? Thanks

Jagmann case
Barnes 150 TTSX
COAL 3.450" equals .10" off the lands and crimped w/LEE FCD
Fed 215M in both loads
24" barrel:

77.6gr H4831SC

72gr R17

I just ran your weight cap numbers and the Sig brass has 1gr more cap then the jag brass.
Just drop back 10% and work up with the Jag brass and you should be fine.

These loads are already worked up Pard. I was wanting someone to see what QL lists as the "theoretical velocity" at those charges. They both shoot wonderful...now, bear in mind these are just 3 shots each, first time out, I still have to prove them out to 300 and further. The H4831 went into a nice 1/2" avg and the R17 went into the 3's. Sweet, huh? :)

From my "Interpolating Fire Direction Center Artillery" days, they should be right at 3300fps. Hopefully I can get to the range soon and chronograph them side by side.

I shot 5 rds of each load over the Chronograph yesterday. I took my time as I wanted to check accuracy from these once fired cases. Initial loads ( and what I like to hunt with) were brand new, resized and trimmed cases. Anyhow, Another friend PMd me with a QL guess and my rifle went a bit faster.

My H4831 77.5 load went avg 3304fps into .99" and the R17 72ge went 3374fps into .76". Ql guess was almost 100fps slower, but still close. My Army "Fire Direction Center" trained "interpolation" of Barnes book data was almost spot on! ha Close enough for campfire talk about handloads, lol.

Back