QL request 140 Fed TBT

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Hoping for QL data for the 140 gr Fed trophy bonded tip...

280 Rem
22"
Rem 9 1/2-M
Powders I'm using are RL-22, RL-26, RL-19 and IMR 4831

I don't know if my chrono was acting up today and reading slow, but with 60.2 gr of RL-26, it was very accurate but showing average right at 2850..Seemed quite a bit slower than what I expected, considering the speeds I'm getting from 154 hndy IB's using RL-26. I tried a fresh battery and made sure the sun wasn't blowing out the sensors..I won't get a chance to test known loads with it until next weekend.

The chronograph is working fine. My son in law borrowed it today and he says it clocked his .40 SW 165gr JHP at 1150 fps..same as always. I guess my expectations were too high. Get much over 60.5gr of RL-26 and the groups open WAY up with these 140 TBT's..I might go back and try RL-22 with them. It works very well with 140 AB's, and save the RL-26 for heavier bullets....What's funny is, I'll go through all this testing with TBT's, and Hndy IB's and get them to shoot well, but when hunting season rolls around, I'll grab up the tried and true AccuBonds..LOL
:lol:

mwess1113":3jn1ou7w said:
RL 26 might not be good with the 140's?

Yea, that's what I'm thinking. At least with these bullets. I know with 140 AB's Reloder 22, and 19 beat it by a pretty good margin in the speed department...I haven't tried 140 AB's with RL-26, but I don't expect any different results, so I probably wont try..But RL-26 shines with 154 IB's and 150 NP...I'm getting 2960 with the 154 IB with absolutely no pressure signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always got excellent performance out of the 280 Rem 140 gr bullet with RL19. IMR4350 and IMR4831 also did very well for me.

JD338

You are burning 60.2 gr. of a very slow powder, with a light bullet. The fact you are getting much better relative velocity with the 154 interbonds backs that up.

RL26 is on the slow side for 140 gr projectiles. Granted, it shows good velocity in the 270 Win with 150 gr bullets, at just over 3000 fps with just over 60 gr. (Alliant data), however the slightly larger bore diameter of the 280 and lighter projectile would typically dictate a bit quicker powder. For example, Alliant shows just under 3000 fps with 59 gr of RL19 in the 280 Rem with a 140 gr bullet. The gap burn rate between the two powders is quite significant. For what it's worth Nosler shows reloader 19 as the fastest bullet speed in the 280 Remington with a 140 gr. bullet.

The Trophy Bonded Tip is not showing on my QL, I would need measurements to try to make the data and install that file. I would need some data from you on length and taper measurements to calibrate your Quickload data you are looking for.

9q49gck.jpg

Once I get some time those TBTs are begging for a workout. Looking forward to seeing how they work for you.

You may have to push them a little harder to get into another accuracy node.

SJB358":36l2apxo said:
Once I get some time those TBTs are begging for a workout. Looking forward to seeing how they work for you.

You may have to push them a little harder to get into another accuracy node.

They are plenty accurate..I found 60.2 to be the sweet spot wiyh RL-26, the speed just wasn't there..Much above 60.5 and the groups began to spread out big time!!.By the time I started getting slight ejector swipes, they were still spreading out.It was a longshot trying 26 with 140 gr bullets, but the reports I've been reading indicated it was a good combination. .I'm looking forward to pushing them with RL-19 and 22..I have a batch of the 160gr TBT as well..I have no doubt RL-26 will easily, and probably accurately, get them to 2950..But now I'm wondering if that 160gr TBT may be a little too much bullet for deer???

Back