Question for Our Friends North of the Border

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
I am wondering is there a tree still standing? Here in central Wisconsin we’ve been buried under smoke which seems like forever. I cannot remember the last clear sunny day. Hope you all are well up there.

We had multiple large fires here in northern BC and AB. Several of the families in my church were threatened and spent some tense days fighting fires, but all are safe now. Still some massive fires farther north. Lots of fires in Atlantic Canada, which is generating the smoke inundating the east coast of the US.

We’re in south western Virginia and it’s pretty smoky here today. Question, can we turn all these wind turbines north and blow it back ? 😂 feel sorry for all y’all dealing with the fires directly.

The green agenda ensured there would be plenty of fuel. The fires were just a disaster waiting to happen. I'm sure many environmentalists felt warm and fuzzy for the several years preceding. The fires do ensure that elk/moose/deer populations will explode in this area in the next couple of years. Without doubt the fires are destructive, and are terrifying to the communities threatened and the people displaced, but they do introduce a balance to the environment. We hosted a number of families in Dawson Creek over the past month or so. Tumbler Ridge was threatened with fires coming within a km or so of the town, but at the last moment the community was spared.

The Donnie Creek fire north of the Fort St John area DrMike is referring to is the largest forest fire in recorded BC history, and has crossed the border into Alberta.
We are still smoky here, but not as bad as it was in May and early June. When we have a steady southwest breeze it does help clear the air somewhat...but there is an ever present haze still hanging on.
Should pose problems for sheep hunters in northern BC in August if things stay as they are.

Yesterday we had a stiff wind out of the South and it was smokey as heck.

It's been very bad here too.
The AQI numbers have been in the hazardous range.

JD338

this morning was bad , it's getting a little better now . I have a touch of a sore throat that I blame on the smoke .

Susan has been affected by the smoke a lot more than I. We got an air purifier and are running in in the living room. It makes a big difference inside the house!

Susan has been affected by the smoke a lot more than I. We got an air purifier and are running in in the living room. It makes a big difference inside the house!
I run an air purifier beside my work station throughout the day, and a large Dyson in our living room during the evenings.

Hate it for you guys up north as we are affected by it here in southern WV. My wife likes to go to the Smoky Mts area of TN so yesterday I told her we didn't have to go as we have them here so we can stay home. She failed to see the humor in it.:( Dan.

I run a high grade hepa filter in the house and have for the last 3 years or so. I just like clean air that is free from as much pollution as possible. Two years ago I bought units for both of my kids, who have kids of their own, and a unit for my mother-in-law's house too. With all this smoke drifting in & out everyone is very happy to blast their units 24/7.

Last edited:
We have an air purifier as well. My wife got it from her work and got her employee discount. We also got one for each of our girls.

JD338

Smokey here again last night, but clear here this morning. Were gone most of the day and when we got home tonight socked right in again.

Back