Question on FL sizing has me stumped?

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
Ok I have a rem 243 SPS bought some new winchester brass I have always neck sized loaded and shot, after loading this 2 times this brass is becomming sticky on the bolt close, it will still close but sticky so I put it into my redding FL die did as requested and turned down until the bolt closes well the bolt will not close after it has been through the FL die? I set it all the way on the shell holder just making contact and I don't get enough sizing?

I don't get what is going on here? It would close but sticky before FL die use, after FL die use it will flat not close on the empty case? Anyone have an idea on what is going on here? Thanks I have always just neck sized my 25-06 and after 3-4 loadings got new brass? Is this a chamber thing, gun issue or a die issue or am I doing something wrong?

Have you checked the length of the cases? The .243 can stretch quite a bit in just a few firing/sizing cycles. Don't know if that's the problem, but it's worth checking.

Guy Miner":2p9m3l8e said:
Have you checked the length of the cases? The .243 can stretch quite a bit in just a few firing/sizing cycles. Don't know if that's the problem, but it's worth checking.

+1 what Guy said, check the case length.

If the case length checks out fine, check that you are not bulging the shoulder out.

JD338

Not sure what press you have but you most likely have to turn the die another 1/32-1/16 turn lower. If you have a rockchucker you will feel a sort of "cam over" as the shellholder hits the die and gives just a bit more travel to knock the shoulder back another few .001".
I STRONGLY recomend if you love reloading to get the hornady headspace measuring kit. It's on sale (I think) now at midway for about $30. It will open your eyes as to proper die setup. I have lots of dies and load for lots of guns....mine and friends....you can't do this without this kit.....it really is a must for the avid reloader.

Nine times out of ten hard to chamber properly trimmed FL sized brass has to do with improper die set-up.
First make sure you brass is trimmed properly. You set up your die to touch the shell holder? This is usually not enough. The generic way to set up an FL die is to screw it in to touch the shell holder then screw it IN 1/4 turn more. You may want to screw the die in a little at a time until the brass chambers with no bullet seated.
You also want to make sure that the expander button is not dragging to hard pulling the shoulder forward. Clean and lightly lube the inside of the neck.
As kraky said, if you really want to know what your FL dies are doing, get a Stoney Point (Hornady) Headspace Gauge.

Thanks guys I did just that and it solved the problem, the redding instructions made it sound like you didn't want to go lower than die touching shell holder, as you all stated it didn't take much and now they will chamber in the gun, I went just very little at a time until it would chamber the round that should limit head space correct?

I'm finding out that the .243 brass isn't like the 25-06 for sure I can load 3 times no problem on the 25-06 before sticky brass, on the 243 I'm finding out 2 times and you need to FL size it. Thanks for the help.

You've done it just right. I still recomend the kit if you like to reload. If you don't like the feeling of "camming over" you can take a few thousands of an inch off the top of a spare shellholder. I've had to do this for a 300 rum to get the shoulder pushed back enough. You don't have to be fussy because the top of the shellholder has no function in reloading....just hold it against the side of a grinding wheel with a vise grip.

I ordered the headspace from midway just to make sure all is right in the world beings it was on sale should be here Weds, thanks guys.

Back