Question on hornady head space gauge?

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
OK I got my head space gauge, I put in the .400 for .243 cal I measured new brass it came out to 3.617 OAL, once fired or fire formed brass was 3.622-3.624 was the longest, I measured a neck sized brass and it came out at 3.619 or .002 over new brass not yet formed in the neck size die, so I want the brass to be at 3.620 after I have bumped the shoulder back .002 ? Then my head space is minimal for my gun, I'm thinking according to the directions most fell in at that 3.622-3.624 OAL range after fire forming?

I measrued a few that wouldn't chamber and then run through the FL die and they where right at that 3.620-3.621 after I FL sized them, does all this sound right? Thanks CT

If you can keep it in the 3,620-3.622 range you`re probably in the 0.002" clearance range. Keep in mind there is a small amount of "spring back" in your brass and the chamber is likely ~.002" larger then the fire formed case depending on the brass. You don`t want a crush fit though for hunting ammo and I have never seen it help noticably in ammo for paper punching.

Neck sizing should not move the shoulder back. Something is wrong in your die set-up. I don't adjust my FL die to PFL until the cases get snug in the chamber then I bump the shoulder back 0.002".Rick.

IN my experience you may have to shoot the brass more than one time to get full expansion of your chamber. If I run near max loads 1x firing may do it. From what you are saying (and i have the same kit and love it) if you have rounds coming out at 3.624 as the longest length.....then your chamber is at least that long. Try for a bump of 3.623 or 3.622 and see if they chamber without ANY RESISTANCE. Then re-measure after the 2nd fireing.
I'm not a lover of neck sizing for hunting ammo. I DO NOT like any bolt resistance when closing the bolt. I love the lee collet die and redding body die as a reloading combo.

Back