Fireforming

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
I know I had a thread started recently and deleted it, but this got me going to start another one

I have a tight chamber ? I ran bullets touching with a max load. And I'll add an email from a tech from Sierra bullets.

I'm thinking I do possibly have a tight chamber..... SAMMI says 2.048 max 2.058 min I measured with my Hornady HS gauge on my calipers with my Forster NG gauge and it measures 2.044. My fired case measures 2.041. I remember bumping back .004 to chamber. And the bolt is a little stiff closing with 2.041

Here's the email....

I’ve noticed that brass sized from a different cartridge, or necking up or down in diameter, even when new, needs to be annealed before the forming and 9 times out of 10 needs to be annealed after also. I’ve had match brass from the 50’s that took several sessions to make it soft enough to work with. It was used brass with a lot of time on it, and I found it to be specialized because the rim didn’t have a bevel on it. Other than that, it still worked. Let me know how it goes for you, I’ll be interested in hearing back if this brass can be salvaged.

Are you confusing a short chamber versus a tight chamber?
I first recommend getting a couple of reloading manuals and read the first half as they are filled with valuable information. This will answer a lot of your questions.
Secondly Hornady doesn’t make HS gauges , they make headspace comparator gauges. This is for measuring your shoulder bump on your dies not true headspace. If you want a gauge to measure true headspace you needed to have your gunsmith cut one out of the barrel stub with the reamer he used to chamber the barrel.

Are you confusing a short chamber versus a tight chamber?
I first recommend getting a couple of reloading manuals and read the first half as they are filled with valuable information. This will answer a lot of your questions.
Secondly Hornady doesn’t make HS gauges , they make headspace comparator gauges. This is for measuring your shoulder bump on your dies not true headspace. If you want a gauge to measure true headspace you needed to have your gunsmith cut one out of the barrel stub with the reamer he used to chamber the barrel.
does hornady Gauges on a caliper sound like ones you chamber? 😆

have no idea what your asking, or even if you are.
Sorry. I measured my NG gauge with a Hornady HS comparator gauge and it measured 2.044. It says it’s 2.054. Minimum SAMMI HS is 2.058. It’s confusing. I ordered Redding competition shell holders. I got the idea from that Gavin guy from his youtube channel Ultimate Reloader about zeroing off a NG gauge then shoulder bump from there to chamber.

I think I remember, factory loads chambered and your reloads are tight?
I don't have factory ammunition. New brass is chambers fine. Chasing numbers Salmon. I ordered Redding comp shell holders, I'm dome chasing numbers. Old school fitting cases to chamber is great. These shell holders make it easy.

Back