Question on RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Press Installation

Stevesdl

Beginner
Feb 15, 2010
I finally got around to putting my press together and ran into a question already. I am really not technically challenged but...

There is a Primer sleeve LG and SM. Also associated Primer plug LG and Sm. In addition there is a primer plug spring.

The spring will fit into one of the sleeve's just fine but not the other. Also one sleeve will fit just to the threaded part of each of the plugs while the other sleeve will fit the entire shaft of the plug shaft.

Could someone elaborate or explain. I have a 338 Win Mag and Large Magnum primers.

Probably a no brainer to most but would not the SM parts fit like the LG parts?

Thanks
Steve

Called RCBS - the Primer sleeve SM had a miniscule burr that was preventing the SM shaft from pushing all the way thru. A good little push on the desktop cleared the burr and allowed for the shaft to fit with the sleeve.

Thanks
Steve

Steve! Glad you are back up and in business again. How did the press set up turn out? Did you get any rounds made up yet? Drop me a line or give me a ring when you have time. Scotty

Forget the press primer stuff. Get a hand primer and you will like it. The RCBS one is good but ttttttttttthe lee one works fine and is cheap. Just read the directions and lube it or you will be sorry. Do not ask how I found this out. :oops:

I have never used a press primer as I like to "feel" the seating of primers. Ergo, I use either the RCBS Universal Hand Primer or the Lee Auto-Prime. Were I to use a press primer, the system on the Forster Co-Ax Press is perhaps the most attractive because of its design.

I have used a Lee hand help primer for years. Quick and easy.
For the bigger cases like my 338 RUM and 45-70, I use the primer feed on my RCBS press because I do not believe Lee has a shell holder that will fit.

JD338

Good Tuesday Morning to Ya'll,
You can tell I am a newbie. I set this up because the instructions said to! :):)

I have the whole supreme kit so yes I have a RCBS Universal Hand Primer as well. Silly me.

I am still setting the whole outfit up. I am reading all that I can as I go so that I don't miss the elementary things. I will post pics and success when complete in my lil reloading mancave.

Thanks all and thanks Scotty!
Steve

Stevesdl

Sounds like you are well on your way. You will be turning out "custom ammunition" in no time.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.

JD338

Can't wait to hear how your stuff comes out. I am the odd ball here, I have always primed on my presses. I used my RCBS Partner press for a long time with 0 issues, and good loads. Now I use the Forster COAX priming system and I like that even more. I say if you cleaning your primer pockets decently you will do fine either method. The press just works fine for me. Scotty

No worries, I was very glad to assist you in getting started. Can't wait to see how those Accubonds shoot. I think you are going to like them. Scotty

Back