Question on taking does/female animals

What do you think of shooting does to improve the herd?

• Approve and would do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Approve but would not do it

• Disapprove

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Up here in Saskatchewan we have a antlerless tag in a lot of zones. I bought a tag this year and will be filling it as we have just way to many deer. The Government insurance advised that last year they paid out in excess of $35,000,000.00 in vehicle damage because of big game collisions.
Later in the season it is nothing to see 50 deer or more while driving into town from my nephew's farm and it is only 20 miles.

Blessings,
Dan

I have no qualms about shooting does. There is no thrill in it, but they eat good and it is good management in Michigan.

Long

Here in Manitoba I can take any deer during our 3 week muzzleloader season & any deer during our 3 week rifle season. Up to this year we were also allowed a second deer during these seasons as long as it was antlerless (less than 4") as long as we were licenced with the "second" licence. It could be taken in either the archery, muzzleloader or rifle season as long as you had the regular licence for that season. Antlers don't mean too much to me; I can't eat them & I enjoy venison. I try to take a buck, a doe and a yearling in my area to keep things balanced. It's the yearlings & bucks that get their butts kicked during our severe winters here. This year they dropped the "second" tag because numbers are down due to the severe winters we have had the last couple of years & yes, coyotes too. Their numbers are up :evil: This year I took a nice 3X3 and a big doe. I would have had a real nice buck in the rifle season but he saw me first & caught me day dreaming :oops:

A very happy Thanksgiving to all of you down south :grin:

Yes, you need to take females, its called game management.

JD338

I dont know. Gotta take a different take on this from 257 Ackley though...(no offense friend). Where I hunt in SW Mn the DNR does not have it figured out. Buck liscenses over the counter and open country with limited good cover means anything wearing horns that isnt a Hereford is dead after the first two days. Rare is it that you see a decent buck as, if the horns are visible it will die. There are more does, but even those get too much pressure. Between Special seasons, bow, muzzle-loader and regular firearms you can hunt deer in the "slug zone" almost continuously from september 1 to december 31st I think. There are always a few deer but not a lot and rarely anything that looks like a good Buck. Always a few big does that are too much for a coyote to tackle. Winter deer count means little when the fawns hit the ground in the spring. Its been three years since Ive seen a yearling fawn during the season. Couple that with stupid regulations that say that I am not allowed to CARRY a centerfire rifle during a open deer season, (no coyote hunting from Sept-Jan- not by law but seriosly limiting the options for a useful firearm choices) and its no wonder there arent many deer. However the state will keep selling liscenses over the counter as the dont want to give up the money that a full lottery system would require.

Back